Everything Jamesx4 has done for OBA. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Everything Jamesx4 has done for OBA.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-30-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Everything Jamesx4 has done for OBA.

I removed my stock under dash AC unit today in preperation for OBA.
Now the bigger hose that goes to the compresser is leaking a red fluid, not alot but enough to make a mess.
Is this oil for the compressor and i cant let it run dry? the compresser end is still connected, I ran out of daylight
Im searching for a link with pictures and instructions but cant find one yet.
I was going to drive the jeep to work tomorrow but i guess its safer to plug the lines first.
Thanks for helping

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
MRGeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Good luck with the OBA project. I'm definitely interested in doing one myself. My A/C is just sapping power from my engine right now, so I figure I might as well make use of it. Are you planning on incorporating an air tank? If so what size are you thinking? I just saw an air tank at Wal-Mart for like $20 that held I think 7.5 gallons, you think thats big enough to fill up tires, run air tools, etc? If you can take pictures I would really appreciate it. Good Luck!

Retired:
1989 Wrangler Jasper Rebuilt 4.2L, Weber 32/36 carb, CJ7 front clip (Round headlights, hell yeah), 33x12.5x15 Wrangler MTR on 15x8 AR Baja wheels
MRGeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
richmond1273
1995 YJ Wrangler 

you should be okay driving to work today, there is a clutch on the compressor so the parts inside don't move unless you turn it on. you really don't need a tank to air up your tires, but your pressure switch will hate you. i had a small leak in a tire and used mine for months without a tank. the tank just really helps if you want to run tools but is also really nice airing up the tires. at idle i aired up my completely flat 33 up to 20psi in right around a minute with my tank. i got my tank for $40 on ebay and it is a 5 gallon. most people have 2.5 gallon tanks and i can see why once i got mine. it was a little hard finding a spot to mount a 6"x36" tank. definitely no room under the jeep for that, a 2.5 would have been perfect under there. i still need to remove my plenum and stuff inside but i'm taking my time because i will wait to sell it at the beginning of next summer.

1995 Wrangler 4.0 AX15 NP231 D30 & 35 4.10 gears
3" Rough Country suspension 33x12.50 Mastercraft MT

2007 JK 3.8 42RLE Auto NV241 D30 & D44 4.10 gears
richmond1273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a pic of my oba...
Not an old air conditioning unit though. For an air tank I got a tank from an old Kenworth for running its air horns(it is like 2 gallons-16 long by 6 around, mounted under the battery tray).
With a belt driven unit, you should not need a large tank.
FYI-Your air conditioning pump will need a supply of lubracation oil, this lube is in the freon now...
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
jeepercreeper77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.rockfrogs.org/phpBB2/view...64beeccd87e701this thread has some helpful info.
90 wrangler,4.2l,1" MML,CRT HEI Dist.,34/34(interco) weber, hurst shftr,5spd,5" BDS lft,f-d30/r-8.8,5/8 lft booms,1" bl,tflex belly up,JB convs. SYE,gdyr mtr35s,hurc'ed,smit src frt bump,gen-r rear bump w/tire carrier,f&r tube fenders,psc knokrs,r gen-rgt ful conr gurds,duel bat.,BIC,m8000
jeepercreeper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93
Here is a pic of my oba...
Not an old air conditioning unit though. For an air tank I got a tank from an old Kenworth for running its air horns(it is like 2 gallons-16 long by 6 around, mounted under the battery tray).
With a belt driven unit, you should not need a large tank.
FYI-Your air conditioning pump will need a supply of lubracation oil, this lube is in the freon now...
i think i could eat my lunch off this engine bay!

MR, that tank won't do you much good without a way to fill it. air in a tank doesn't work like CO2. with a CO2 tank, the liquid CO2 acts as a much larger reserve to keep feeding the gas. with air you're limited by how much pressure you can put into the tank. then all you can do it distribute it across the tires evenly. and since most off road tires are substantially bigger than 7.5 gallons you won't be able to fill all 4 to where you want to. even if you estimate a tire on the conservative side at 20 gallons, that's still 80 gallons of space to fill. P1*V1 = P2*V2 so 125 psi *7.5 gallons = P2 * 87.5 gallons (remember the tank isn't going to be pushing air out one it reaches an equilibrium pressure so you have to include it in the volume of the second state). so you could fill up each tire a little less than 11 psi. and that's only if you're starting with no pressure in the tires. otherwise the last one will reach equilibrium before you hit that mark. it's just not worth taking up the space int he back of the jeep for only a small gain.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

that tank won't do you much good without a way to fill it. air in a tank doesn't work like CO2. with a CO2 tank, the liquid CO2 acts as a much larger reserve to keep feeding the gas. with air you're limited by how much pressure you can put into the tank. then all you can do it distribute it across the tires evenly. and since most off road tires are substantially bigger than 7.5 gallons you won't be able to fill all 4 to where you want to. even if you estimate a tire on the conservative side at 20 gallons, that's still 80 gallons of space to fill. P1*V1 = P2*V2 so 125 psi *7.5 gallons = P2 * 87.5 gallons (remember the tank isn't going to be pushing air out one it reaches an equilibrium pressure so you have to include it in the volume of the second state). so you could fill up each tire a little less than 11 psi. and that's only if you're starting with no pressure in the tires. otherwise the last one will reach equilibrium before you hit that mark. it's just not worth taking up the space int he back of the jeep for only a small gain.

Ok that is all greek to me. He has a way of filling the tank you can see the pump front of the engine passenger side.
Unread 10-31-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
dukegnarley
1988 YJ Wrangler 

yeah but for filling tires with a belt driven compressor you don't really need a tank to begin with, it's just nice for a sudden boost of air.
AW4 swap with awshifter = DONE
custom console
flatdash
dukegnarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No not really needed. Your compressor will not have to work near as hard with one. Also if you run a ARB the compressor will only run enough to fill up the tank. There will be more than enough air to run the ARB without the compressor having to kick on.
Unread 10-31-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS
Ok that is all greek to me. He has a way of filling the tank you can see the pump front of the engine passenger side.
i wasn't quoting jeepster for this, i know he has his all setup, but rather MRGeep. it sounded like he was asking if a 7.5 gallon tank by itself would be enough to fill tires etc. coupled with an engine driven comp though, 7.5 gallons is overkill on a jeep. a one gallon tank is plenty.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 03:52 PM   #11
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the OBA parts are gathered

What ports do I use and does anyone know what compresor this is?

Heres the 4 ports, the original caps are on and the 2 open ports are from the AC lines
[IMG][/IMG]
Here they are uncapped, the 2 horizontal ports look like air line connectors
[IMG][/IMG]
Heres the compressor from the front
[IMG][/IMG]
Heres some markings on the face
[IMG][/IMG]
Heres the wireing going to the ground and inside the jeep
[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 11-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

who can help before this thread gets pushed down to the second page?

Unread 11-21-2007, 03:15 AM   #13
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Please help?

Unread 11-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #14
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

All in one charger and compressor

Ive had this sitting around for awhile and thought it was time to put it to good use

I want to hard wire it in, it can be recharged with a cig lighter port
I want to add a tank and set it up for oba
Im thinking I can take apart the pump switch and wire in limit switch so the compressor turns off when the tank is full
Im not sure of the inflation speed
I want to mount this to the area where the factory jack was, this way I have a lite and the jumper cables will reach the battery
Heres the specs
SPECIFICATIONS:
Model: VECO12POB
Battery Charge Level Push-button - LED Indicator Lights Show the Charge State
12 Volt DC Output Socket with Automatic Short Circuit Protection
Recharging Port Includes a 110V wall charger
Rugged weather-proof ~ Unbreakable Housing
Heavy-Duty 450 Amp Battery Clamps - Extra Long 22 Heavy-Duty Welders Type Cables USB Charging Port
Built-in Emergency Area Light
ON/OFF Power Switch
Charging Battery Status Indicators (LED display shows full charge or battery level) Lighted Pressure Gauge
Air Compressor On/OFF Switch
Contains sealed non-spillable lead acid battery. Must he replaced or disposed of properly. 15 Air Compressor Hose
WARNINGS:
The inflator is capable of Inflating up to 260 pounds per square inch
To avoid over-inflation, carefully follow instructions on articles to be inflated. Never exceed recommended pressures - Bursting articles can cause serious injury.
Always check pressure with pressure gauge.
Never leave the inflator unattended while in use.
TWO YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PROGRAM

Perfect for:
Emergencies
Camping
Boating
Lawn/Farm Equipment
Traveling
Tow trucks, service stations
Perfect for Remote Areas
College Students
Older Vehicles
Package Includes:
Jumpstart-System with 260 PSI Air Compressor
Instantaneous Cranking Power 450 Amps
Continuous Cranking 300 Amps
Battery - 12 Volt 19AH/20HR Sealed & Rechargeable
120 volt AC/DC adapter/power cord for recharging from standard wall socket
12 Volt DC/DC power cord for charging from vehicle

Unread 11-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #15
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

save yoruself the time and agrevation... that pump is by no means capable of running OBA.... and the charger would be pretty useless...

that thing is best suited as a tool that takes up valuable storage space and is hardly ever needed... nothing more...
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.