ever seen a hood basket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ever seen a hood basket

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 07-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
Rob95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ever seen a hood basket

I just came a cross a basket for a small suv roof. I was looking at it and trying to figure out what to do with it then it hit me. I could mount it to the hood. has anyone ever seen any thing like this? I know I couldn't put any thing very large in it or it would block my vision but I think it would be a good place for axe, pick, shovel hi lift, tool bag and other shorter items. whatcha think?

http://images.buyautotruckaccessorie...ketCarrier.jpg

Rob95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not so sure about it. I wouldn't want it in my line of sight, and I really wouldn't want a "axe, pick, shovel, hi lift, etc" coming through the windshield at me if something should go dreadfully wrong.

But it's innovative thinking like yours that makes for great new ideas, so if you're inclined to do it, take plenty of pics & measurements & let us see how it turns out!

We might even refer to our new hood baskets as "Rob Racks!"

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I saw a tj once with strips of 1x1 harwood bolted to the hood to make a place to put stuff. kinda cool I guess but im not sure what youd be able to put there that wouldnt be in the way.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #4
CJ258
1974 CJ5 

That's a project I haven't got off the ground yet. I set up various sized blocks on the hood and slid them forward and backwards to check visibility. It is practical for light weight, bulky items. The military mounted gas cans there during WWII. I wanted it for folding chairs, rifles, metal detectors and the like.
I think I could see over 14" stack of blocks without a visibilty problem to about 30" from the WS. might be a good place for off road lighting too.
CJ258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
Rob95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yea I figured what ever goes into it can not be too tall but towards the windshield i could be good maybe a foot tall max, but the edges of the basket are about 5" tall so if I stay within the edges I should be good and I don't think it will block my view
Rob95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't like having things that could come threw my windshield. Never know in an accident. And I don't know if I want a basket on the front of my jeep kinda reminds me of a little girls bicycle
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would check with the local law first.........

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.