The essentials... In an emergency... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The essentials... In an emergency...

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
LoggingRoads
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The essentials... In an emergency...

I am putting together some must haves to keep in the jeep in case I am ever starnded in the boonies... And besides the obvious personal things like a jacket, cell phone, blanket, water, flashlight, etc.. I will need an 'emergency tool box'... I'm wondering what should be in it.. I have a bad habit of loading up my vehicles with everything plus the kitchen sink.. So I'm thinking that maybe I should be thinking before I do that this time...

I have an 88 YJ, weber carbed, no smog, with a 4.2L six...
later, I plan on adding a winch that can be detached and moved to the rear or front (with a hitch receiver on each end), and getting the thing smog legal using an after market TBI system...

Besides a jack and tire wrench, what are the essentials I should carry? Would like to make it as light and small and rattle free as possible, yet be prepared for problems I might encounter out in the sticks, so that I can get the thing (and me) back home... even if I have to wait till next morn to do so...

The idea here is that there's no point in carrying every size wrench and socket, when I will only possibly need one or two...

and what jack do you guys recommend? It currently has 'none'... I'm on a budget, so keep that in mind...

what about spare parts?

What's in your 'emergency kits' ?

Thanks,
Mark

LoggingRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure what guys carry in an emergency kit, but for anyone that goes really into wilderness, not talking a few miles off of a paved road, but wilderness like you may not see humans for weeks, dozens and dozens of miles from anywhere you might encounter someone else for days or weeks, I highly recommend the spot sattelite messenger
http://www.findmespot.com/en/
It's a relatively inexpensive ($150) device that for a service fee can give gps signal via sattelite and short messages where others can locate and find you in case of a true distress. Several friends have them and use them kayaking and backcountry backpacking and skiing. very light, compact, virtually indestructible adn reliable.

I have no connection to the company, but I wouldn't leave home without one if heading into true 'wilderness'
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Rallen
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I carry a small shovel and jumper cables. In addition to what mentioned.
Rallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
LoggingRoads
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniebikes View Post
Not sure what guys carry in an emergency kit, but for anyone that goes really into wilderness, not talking a few miles off of a paved road, but wilderness like you may not see humans for weeks, dozens and dozens of miles from anywhere you might encounter someone else for days or weeks, I highly recommend the spot sattelite messenger
SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE
It's a relatively inexpensive ($150) device that for a service fee can give gps signal via sattelite and short messages where others can locate and find you in case of a true distress. Several friends have them and use them kayaking and backcountry backpacking and skiing. very light, compact, virtually indestructible adn reliable.

I have no connection to the company, but I wouldn't leave home without one if heading into true 'wilderness'
Great tip! I've actually been wanting something like that for years... It's even more of an issue when I'm on the quad... There are 'hundreds and hundreds of logging roads out back of my place, and I would not be able to afford the ramifications of calling for emergency services..

A way to alert friends/neighbors and point them to me is the hot ticket... I also plan to put an old CB in there from a truck I had a couple decades ago, as soon as I can find the box it's in... I found a portable shortwave radio out in the garage (was my dads), but I'm not licensed to use it..

I also want to get one of those little GPS homing thingies you put on your keychain to help you find your vehicle if you get separated from it and can't locate it.. That's already hap[pened to me once, and I only walked about 75' from the jeep! I think they cost around 60 bucks...

And yeah, a camp shovel and a pair of cables is a good idea... I'm thinking I might should carry a come along and chain or strap until I can afford a winch...

Thanks,
Mark
Unread 09-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
CopperHead_Road
1995 YJ Wrangler 

For repairs I carry the following:

Extra fluids, belts and hoses. Duct tape, zip ties, JB weld, a can of bolts/nuts/screws, 3/8 and 1/2 drive socket sets and wrenches, BF hammer, pry-bar, vise grips, misc handtools, tire patch kit and some of the items already mentioned.

Oh, and TWINKIES... Lots and Lots of TWINKIES!

other than that, I got nothing

Later,

CH_R
Unread 09-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Change you belt and keep the old one and the tools it takes to change it in the Jeep....
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i have a set of those ratcheting wrenches, a slip joint plier, a screwdriver with the tips you can switch out, water, oil, and rope. plus the cell phone.

its funny twinkies was mentioned, i would rather have cupcakes though, hostess ones because they are more moist then the others.
Unread 09-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

first aid, water and shelter are the immediate concern along with stuff to make a fire for heat and signaling.

basic tools and parts
you can go without food for a while but anything you bring should be high energy
ropes and tarp or plastic sheet to make shelter.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
LoggingRoads
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I got that stuff pretty well covered.. I used to be into backpacking and have a bunch of small lightweight gear, and my knees can't take tha backpacking much anymore (although I still dream about going back to the eastern High Sierras again someday)...

What I'm trying to do, is to draw on the knowledge of those here with many years working on and off roading with jeeps, who know 'which sockets and wrenches' I need, and which can be left behind what size and how much hose to bring, what small parts I should always have, etc.. and how they have set up and mounted their tool/parts box so that it doesn't rattle and drive you crazy on those bumpy roads..... I'm a newbie to the jeep world, so I don't have this personal knowledge yet..

However, things like that GPS suggestion are also outside of the box ideas that I was overlooking...

For instance, on my bracket racer I had many years ago, I knew that to remove the auto trans, I needed a 9/16 and 1/2 inch end wrenches, a 9/16 socket and 3/8 drive, a pair of channel locks, and a floor jack.. And that's all I took out to the car with me...

Certainly, I don't need the entire tool box in the jeep for emergencies.. but there are likely to be 'common' wrenches and sockets needed.. or maybe a specialty tool or two... Is there some small part that notoriously breaks or goes bad at inoportune times?... Is there some trick I need to know about that a piece of bailing wire will come in handy?... etc. etc

I see there are a lot of torx bolts on the thing, and I don't know what size they are.. I have to buy the wrenches for them, but would rather not buy a whole set at this time, as all the torx wrenches I currently have and ever have need for are much smaller, and I will not likely need the rest of the sizes in a full set... just the one or two sizes found on the jeep...

I'd kinda like to see what others who have been at this for a year or thirty, emergency tool boxes look like, and what's in them... that's kinda what I'm getting at...

Basically, I'm going to be putting this together from old tools laying around, and buying individual sockets/wrenches/parts as cheap as possible from Harbor Freight, garage sales, junk yards, etc.. So complete sets of anything is not gonna happen...
Unread 09-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What's in my emergency kit?

Off of the top of my head I carry...

- Tool Box with the usual wrench's, screwdrivers, socket set, torx bits, wire cutters, 36 MM socket, breaker bar, BFH, brake line flaring kit, tubing cutter, hacksaw, bolt cutters, Volt-Ohm Meter, jumper cables, rags, tarp, tire plug kit, valve stems,

- Fluids: Motor Oil, Gear Oil, PS Fluid, Brake Fluid, ATF, Antifreeze, WD-40, Starting Fluid, Bug Spray, Fast Orange

- Parts: Brake Line, Brake line fittings, wheel bearing assy, D30 stub shaft, drag link, tie rod assy, front drive shaft, rear driveshaft, drivers & passengers side front axle shaft assemblies, assortment of rubber hose, serp belt, idler pully, DS & axle u-joints, u-joint straps, hub bolts, 8.8 flange, wire, wire fittings, zip ties, duct tape, leaf spring shackle, large assortment of nut's & bolts, chain, ignition coil, TPS, starter, full size spare

- Recovery Gear: D rings, 2 tree savers, 2 recovery straps, snatch block, 20' chain, 20' cable extension, high-lift, 8K winch, bottle jack,

- Misc: Drop light, 1200 watt inverter, CB, FRS radio, GPS, OBA, 50' air hose, inflator, ratchet straps, bungees, several flashlights
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
LoggingRoads
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by busemans View Post
i have a set of those ratcheting wrenches, a slip joint plier, a screwdriver with the tips you can switch out, water, oil, and rope. plus the cell phone.

its funny twinkies was mentioned, i would rather have cupcakes though, hostess ones because they are more moist then the others.
Beef Jerky is more my style....

The interchangeable screwdrivers is a good idea too.. You can get all kinds of tips for them, from sockets, to clutch head/torx, and so on, their cheap and can be stored with all their attachments in a very small zipper bag...
Unread 09-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Almost anything can break, but not everything can be trail fixed.

Common stuff that will stop you but can be fixed would be axle and/or drive shaft u-joints. Smashed or ripped off exhust. Hole in diff cover, oil pan, gas tank or radiator. Spare shafts, if you have a D35. Belts and hoses.

I carry a spare tarus fan motor (motor only) and a spare generic electric fuel pump.

Tire plug kit gets a lot of use too.
Unread 09-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
LoggingRoads
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloppk View Post
What's in my emergency kit?

Off of the top of my head I carry...

- Tool Box with the usual wrench's, screwdrivers, socket set, torx bits, wire cutters, 36 MM socket, breaker bar, BFH, brake line flaring kit, tubing cutter, hacksaw, bolt cutters, Volt-Ohm Meter, jumper cables, rags, tarp, tire plug kit, valve stems,

- Fluids: Motor Oil, Gear Oil, PS Fluid, Brake Fluid, ATF, Antifreeze, WD-40, Starting Fluid, Bug Spray, Fast Orange

- Parts: Brake Line, Brake line fittings, wheel bearing assy, D30 stub shaft, drag link, tie rod assy, front drive shaft, rear driveshaft, drivers & passengers side front axle shaft assemblies, assortment of rubber hose, serp belt, idler pully, DS & axle u-joints, u-joint straps, hub bolts, 8.8 flange, wire, wire fittings, zip ties, duct tape, leaf spring shackle, large assortment of nut's & bolts, chain, ignition coil, TPS, starter, full size spare

- Recovery Gear: D rings, 2 tree savers, 2 recovery straps, snatch block, 20' chain, 20' cable extension, high-lift, 8K winch, bottle jack,

- Misc: Drop light, 1200 watt inverter, CB, FRS radio, GPS, OBA, 50' air hose, inflator, ratchet straps, bungees, several flashlights
Wow! You carry all that in your jeep? Driveshafts even? What's 'that' tool box look like?

What size bottle jack? How much ram travel should it have? I have a stock height jeep, and need to buy a jack...

What is a BFH? FRS Radio? OBA?

I'd like to see how you have all that stuff stored on your jeep....
Unread 09-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
LoggingRoads
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Almost anything can break, but not everything can be trail fixed.

Common stuff that will stop you but can be fixed would be axle and/or drive shaft u-joints. Smashed or ripped off exhust. Hole in diff cover, oil pan, gas tank or radiator. Spare shafts, if you have a D35. Belts and hoses.

I carry a spare tarus fan motor (motor only) and a spare generic electric fuel pump.

Tire plug kit gets a lot of use too.
U joints and electric fuel pump are good suggestions... What would you use to repair a hole in the differential cover?

Thanks,
Mark
Unread 09-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoggingRoads View Post
U joints and electric fuel pump are good suggestions... What would you use to repair a hole in the differential cover?

Thanks,
Mark
JB Quick. Same for the oil pan or just about anything else.

I grabbed a fuel pump off some random datsun pickup in the junkyard for $5. I have no idea what the psi or flow is but I think it would get me off the trail.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.