Error Code translation? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Error Code translation?

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 08-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Anghil
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Error Code translation?

I've had my '95 YJ for about a year and a half now and recently my "check engine" light came on. I tried using the manual to decrypt the code and I've tried using my neighbors vehicle knowledge, but I'm still at a loss as to what is wrong with the car. Here's a video of the code(s), can somebody help me translate this? Thanks!

Anghil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Getdirtyoffroad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here ya go...http://getdirtyoffroad.com/code.htm
Unread 08-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Anghil
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! But that's the part I've got. The problem I'm having is understanding what codes are being displayed.
Unread 08-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

When you count the flashes, there will be a short gap between the digits relating to the same number (example "flash", short gap, "flash", "flash" relates to 12), then there's a larger gap before the next number starts flashing until you get to 55 and then it's all over.

From what I see, the codes are 12, 33, 21, and 55. The first and last are almost always there, code 33 tells you that you have a problem with your a/c clutch & if you don't have a/c, it will always be there. Finally, the code 21 is telling you that the ECU isn't really communicating with the oxygen sensor.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Anghil
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, Alfons! Guess I'll be replacing my O2 sensor! Also, thank you for the explanation of how to read the code.
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck, old oxygen sensors often seize into their threaded hole in the exhaust-pipe. A good solid socket and some heat should get that out for you - if the sensor is seized into place, don't use things like adjustable or open end wrenches. They'll spread enough to round off the corners and then you have a much harder time removing them. When you're ready to install the new one, be careful not to get any oil or grease on the porcelain end, especially where it meets the threaded section. Also, when installing the new one, don't overtighten it - check out some "how to" videos on the internet, they'll explain all of this in much more detail.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
Anghil
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your help! My new sensor is on it's way.
Unread 08-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Anghil
1995 YJ Wrangler 

On and done! Goodbye error code 21!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.