Engine wont crank? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine wont crank?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 12-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
sifuentes072008
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Engine wont crank?

4 cyliner 2.5 liter, yj rio grande,95, (new to working on cars)
Last week I changed the exhaust manifold, put everything back together and it ran perfect. The next day I flushed the radiator before i did that i took off the negative battery terminal once i was done I refilled the radiator. i went to turn it on again it would not start. the engine does no crank over. ive had this same problem a number of times before. before the battery terminals were corroded and this time i went about cleaning them and still nothing. Also everytime i put the negative battery terminal back on all the guages inside the car along with the blinkers start to blink until i turn the key. the last time this happened i keep moving the wires on the battery and it would start eventually but it hasnt worked this time. I think there might be a kill switch under the dash there is a switch that has underneath the dash by the light (theres an on and off Label) i tried both but nothing is working. also i contacted the previous owner and they do not know anything about the switch

sifuentes072008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
blackjack93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like there might be a alarm someplace look around under dash and under hood
blackjack93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
sifuentes072008
1995 YJ Wrangler 

got the alarm taken on but still nothing it turns on just fine when it wants to
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have a writing problem between the ignition switch and the firewall. You are going to need to get under the steering column with a meter and get the wiring back to stock. It sounds like the kill switch bypasses the red ignition feed at the steering column.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Also did you clean the ground wire end that bolts to the motor. At the motor!
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have wiring problems at the ignition switch and the coulmn. Did you take a look under the PDC at the wiring and make sure the wires under there are not messed up. Chances are if there was an alarm they messed with the wiring at the ignition switch and the wires undwer the PDC. When you turn the ignition to start and it doesn't turn over do you still hear the the fuel pump prime? You can test out the starter by bypassing the switch. ****Remember it is just like turning the key so keep it out of gear!

On the starter relay in the PDC remove the relay and jumper pin 30 to 87 in the relay socket for the starter with a short piece of wire. You are doing what the ignition switch does when you turn the key. If the key is on and you have power to the ignition system this should turn it over and start the Jeep.

Disconnect the jumper when started!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
sifuentes072008
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks tooking the readings with a meter and found it power was getting to the starter i ended up getting another one and it started right up

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.