engine will not start unless gas pedal is to the floor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > engine will not start unless gas pedal is to the floor

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 08-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
goreboy8
1987 YJ Wrangler 

engine will not start unless gas pedal is to the floor

I am new to the site so don't be hatin lol. Ok so the other day i went to start my jeep and it wouldnt start so i stepped on the gas while turning the engine and it started and then died with a rough idle. it then started up when i went for a second attempt i was just wondering what the problem could be
p.s. the air filter is like almost balc and the carb was rebuilt about 3 weeks ago and thers a brand new fuel filter

thanks for all of your time

goreboy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
JPRatYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

im no expert but i used to have the same problem with my carb.... then i replaced it with a weber.... i know something was broken inside mine though but if yours was rebuilt 3 weeks ago i wouldn't think that would be the problem.... did you do the rebuild or did a shop do it... if the shop did it i would take it back to them and describe to them whats going on and see what they say but the black on your filter is it oily or is it dry... if its dry i could be a small back fire from the carb cause its getting to much fuel

yet again IM NO EXPERT ON CARBS I HATE THEM 10000% but they get the job done and i don't want to drop alot of money on fuel injection

i hope this helps you in your quest on fixing you jeep good luck to ya and welcome to the forum
JPRatYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
goreboy8
1987 YJ Wrangler 

thx for the advice but the guy who sold it to me got the rebuild done and he lives 200km away from me but the problem started after i drove through a huge puddle of water and i read that there can be a problem with the vaccum hoses or something. i will buy myself a new air filter cause i think its about time to get it done
goreboy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You need to fill out your jeep info.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
died , engine , gas , idle issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.