Engine whistle? Help 95 YJ 4cyl. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine whistle? Help 95 YJ 4cyl.

Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
zhahn888
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Engine whistle? Help 95 YJ 4cyl.

Hey guys. I recently swapped my 2.5 TB to a 4.0 TB and noticed a little difference.. The past few days as i would accelerate i noticed a small whistle coming from the engine. It comes and goes both getting louder and quiteter, but im down at school and worry about anything going wrong. Should i worry or could it be a gasket leak?

Unread 01-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

Easy way to tell would be to buy a vacuum gauge and hook er' up. Make sure the vacuum source is POST-throttle, not pre-throttle. And if you need a little coercing to buy the gauge, let me tell you; if you take care of it, it will be a very valuable tool to have on hand in your garage. Useful for everything from detecting clogged exhaust to cam timing to misfires.
TheDustMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

by chance when you did the larger TB, did you also install a TB spacer? they're known to whistle, especially the power-aid ones with the helical bore.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
zhahn888
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did not use a spacer but i do plan on getting one soon... All we really have around here is a autozone could i get a vacuum guage there? Thanks again!
Unread 01-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
gojeep91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhahn888 View Post
I did not use a spacer but i do plan on getting one soon... All we really have around here is a autozone could i get a vacuum guage there? Thanks again!
I did this once, I put the plate on backwards and it fit except for one spot in the back that it just barely overhung the gasket. It whistled pretty loud when under throttle but almost none at idle. This might be the solution, but might not.
good luck and let everyone know for future searches.
gojeep91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhahn888 View Post
They should, it's a pretty common piece of equipment. I would do the easy thing first and check your vacuum, tell us what the needle does at idle, when you rev the engine and let it settle back to idle, and then rev the engine to about 2000 RPM and hold it there.
TheDustMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.