Engine trouble...maybe some help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine trouble...maybe some help?

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 02-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
tannermorrow

Engine trouble...maybe some help?

Hey guys. Over the past week or two I've noticed that when my jeep would first start up and I would take off that it would stall for a little bit when I would press the accelerator down it (this would go away after a minute or so. Went out to start the Jeep today and the jeep won't start at all now. It will just sit there and crank forever. When it first happened it acted like it was gonna start up on the first couple of cranks...but now like I said it won't start up at all now. Pulled the computer codes off and I ended up with the following...

Didn't know if these might help. Those codes have been on there for quite some time though. Nothing new. Would the oxygen sensor have anything to do with this?

Thanks for the help in advance!

tannermorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
NJeepyj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

check sensor ob bell housing: flywheel position sensor. With those codes I don't think you have spark.
NJeepyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
tannermorrow

i'm in no way mechanically inclined can't do much more than change the oil, brakes and sparks.... could you or someone else possibly explain this (sensor ob bell housing: flywheel position sensor)?
tannermorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

that was a type, it was menat to say,im sure, the sensor on the bellhousing...
at the rear of the motor, where it bolts to the tranny, there will be a wire going to a sensor. check that the wire isnt broken or anything.
i would disconnect the battery first to clear the codes, leave it disconnected for @5minutes, then reconnect and drive it.
the new codes will be genuine ones and not old stored ones.
the haynes book has a listing for the codes, if you havent got one, get one!!!
the codes will tell you where to look.

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
i would disconnect the battery first to clear the codes, leave it disconnected for @5minutes, then reconnect and drive it.
the new codes will be genuine ones and not old stored ones.
the haynes book has a listing for the codes, if you havent got one, get one!!!
the codes will tell you where to look.

martin
That's an excellent suggestion. Try this and post the new codes.

One sensor that gives you a variety of symptoms, but in the end when it fails, stops the engine from starting. This is the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), and is one of two sensors on the throttle body - very easy to change (connector & a couple of screws).
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.