Engine / Transmission Mount Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine / Transmission Mount Questions

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Currie RockJock Products!!

Unread 05-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
North_Coast_Cab
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Engine / Transmission Mount Questions

I had a good knocking at start-up an low idle. I replaced the engine mounts with OEM ones, existing ones were not in bad shape. Then I went underneath to do the transmission mount. The mount itself was broken and the stud mount was crazy loose. I replaced the transmission mount with the Energy Suspension one I picked up at O-Reilly's. The stud bushings were in good shape so I just cleaned, disassembled and reassembled the stud set-up.
The knocking is gone, but there is a ton of vibration throughout the Jeep. I think I had over tightened the stud bushings so I went back in and loosened it up. It helped a little, but there is still way too much vibration being transferred to through the body. It feels like it is coming from the drivers side engine mount.
Anyway, does anyone have any ideas?

North_Coast_Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Poly mounts for either the engine or transmission are known to transfer vibration through the body. They are much stronger and less to prone to failure, oil won't degrade as with rubber. These are a good choice for off road wheeling, but if this is mainly a daily driver, rubber mounts are really your best option.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.