Engine/trans swap problem with charging system - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine/trans swap problem with charging system

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 06-25-2015, 06:34 AM   #1
Plyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Engine/trans swap problem with charging system

I just finished putting in a 4.0L from a '98 XJ into my '90 YJ - also added a 700R4 transmission. Everything appears to be working fine except the charging system.
I had the alternator checked and 2 separate Auto parts places and both said it was fine. The old alternator had a plug that just plugged in but the new one ('98) has 2 studs and is supposed to have some kind of connector that is bolted onto the back. I just connected the wires to the studs since I don't have the connector thing. Is there something else I should be doing here?

Old Alt:

New Alt:

Thanks

Plyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 07:25 AM   #2
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think the 98 alternator used the computer for voltage regulation while the earlier one is internal. I think that might be the issue. Can't remember for sure. Others?
Unread 06-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
I think the 98 alternator used the computer for voltage regulation while the earlier one is internal. I think that might be the issue. Can't remember for sure. Others?
Correct.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 07:53 AM   #4
Plyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That would explain it.
But since I don't have a computer on this vehicle (converted the engine to Weber Carb) can I just add an external regulator?

I still have the old Alternator but would have to pull the V-belt pulley and swap in the serp belt pulley which could be more work than just adding the external regulator.

Thanks again.
Unread 06-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The pulley conversion's been done. That's what I would do.
In fact if I ever finish my project jeep the peripherals wil be similar: 98XJ donor to '91 YJ
Unread 06-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #6
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Correct x2
Unread 06-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #7
Plyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Okay... thanks.
Ordered the pulley from Powermaster (old alternator mfg) since I couldn't get the OEM pulley off the '98.
Figured I could sell the other alternator and didn't want to ruin it.
I'll have to make new brackets... no big deal since I had to make 'em to fit the '98 alternator - as you can see from the photo.

Took it out for a drive today (carried an extra battery just in case) and she runs superbly... what a freakin pleasure... cruisin' at 70MPH without any strain.
I love it.

Thanks
Unread 06-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Tags
alternator , charging system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.