Engine and Tranny not lined up?! Non-stock tranny? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine and Tranny not lined up?! Non-stock tranny?

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 06-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Engine and Tranny not lined up?! Non-stock tranny?

Ok...so I was removing my intake manifold and exhaust manifold to replace the gasket and solve my coolant leak issue. After I got them out I was cleaning up the side of the engine and found this:

Is that supposed to be like that?!? It looks like I have a non-stock transmission AX15 maybe? Maybe this is the cause of my slow tranny fluid leak?

dcocch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Not the cause of your tranny leak but definitely weird.
Unread 06-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have a good way to tell the difference between the AX5 and AX15? I should have an AX5. I know my fill plug is on the passenger side which I thought was only on the AX5.

I'm stumped right now. Maybe Mean Max can make sense of this??
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So here is the bellhousing used in conjunction with the AMC 2.5L

It looks like the same one in the picture above with the squared notch on the right side. If that is the correct bellhousing for the AMC 2.5L, I am really confused. I can't figure out why there would be an opening going into the bell housing with two unused bolts in the pattern.
Unread 06-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My YJ has the stock drivetrain from the factory and is exactly like yours is in the picture.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJameson View Post
My YJ has the stock drivetrain from the factory and is exactly like yours is in the picture.
Well then...I guess I'm freaking out over nothing. It was one of those things that I saw and said, "that definitely doesn't look right!"

Thanks for the clarification!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.