engine temp after new exhaust manifold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > engine temp after new exhaust manifold

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

engine temp after new exhaust manifold

So I just installed a new exhaust manifold. I more hear a ticking noise when apply a load while driving. It sounds like a valve, but I doubt it. Also, my temp while cruising is a steady 210. Before the new exhaust, it would be lower. I know 210 is the prime temp. I'm thinking the motor is running leaner now causing the temp to rise to proper operating temperature. But I can't be sure. It just scares me to see the temp jump up like that right after I changed the exhaust. Any input?

Unread 06-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would bet you have a leak. Either the new manifold is cracked or the torque sequence was not followed.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The manifold bolts might have wiggled loose after they got heated. Try to tighten them up.
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked for any codes? You may need a new O2 sensor if you had a bad gasket for a time.

But I agree with the other guys, retorque the manifold bolts.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ticking can absolutely be an exhaust leak. What kind of gasket did you use? Check all the bolts make sure they're snugged down. You may have buggered up the gasket during the install. I've done that once myself....

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I trashed the gasket. But I didn't torque the manifold in any particular order. It started to downpoor on me, so I had to finish up. When I'm at idle or anything under 60, it runs at the line under 210.
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:22 AM   #7
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, I originally typed this up on my phone at work. Maybe I can be a little more clear with the computer. It seems to drive better. (maybe it's just a placebo effect) Prior to the new manifold the temp never went above the mark just below 210 on the gauge. Now it just hovers a mm away from 210. Now, I'm not complaining. Just bothersome. I can't smell any emissions like the previous manifold. It's just the ticking that is concerning. I can't achieve the noise while parked with no load applied. I must be driving with "weight" behind the motor. I was thinking my fuel ratio had improved to a leaner mixture causing slightly higher combustion temperatures. But I doubt this is the issue. I just don't know how I either misaligned the exhaust manifold, which I would that would be impossible, or maybe the intake is a tad off. But I don't think that is possible. I would like to at least re-torque the bolts like previously mentioned. Does anyone have a diagram? I torqued the bolts at 24 lbs:Sq". I'm that is wrong as well. Funny thing, while cruising down the highway at 60-70, purrs just fine. No noise. Maybe the lack of load.
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The tick is an exhaust leak. Your gasket or manifold is buggered. Take it off and try it again following the torque specs and sequence.
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't follow the proper torque specs and sequence you will get leaks and early gasket failure 90% of the time.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure you get a new exhaust donut where it connects to the head pipe.
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just went out and bought a new felpro gasket. I think the ebay gasket that cask with the manifold was just trash to begin with. Looks like my Sunday is going to spent.
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
gsnfl
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's an exhaust leak. You just described my eternal hell. I have a 4.2 that doesn't use a gasket in the down pipe and it wont properly seat no matter what I try. Best trick ever is put a shop-vac on blow and shove it up the tailpipe AFTER THE ENGINE COOLS COMPLETELY. Spray all exhaust junctions and gasket areas with bubbly, soapy water. I actually use my kids bubble crap for best results.
You'll be shocked how many exhaust leaks you have
gsnfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysouthtx View Post
I just went out and bought a new felpro gasket. I think the ebay gasket that cask with the manifold was just trash to begin with. Looks like my Sunday is going to spent.
If you take the exhaust manifold completely off, shoot it with some high temp silver. Make sure you get a donut.
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a new donut. I used the copper stuff last time.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.