engine swap question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > engine swap question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Holtcjh
1988 YJ Wrangler 

engine swap question

I have an 88 YJ with the 2.5 liter 4cylinder in it. Well I threw a rod through the oil pan yesterday driving down the highway. so I need to replace it, I have someone with a 82 wrangler (Guess its a yj) that has the 4.2 liter v6 in it. Just curious as to if anyone has done this swap before and how much trouble would it be to install the 4.2 liter. Does it even fit?

Holtcjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If it's an 82 it is a CJ. The 4.2 is an inline six not a v6. Plenty of swaps have been done. It will fit. you will need new motor mounts, the computer, harness and the list goes on. might be easier to sell your YJ and buy one with a 6.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
Holtcjh
1988 YJ Wrangler 

well the guy only wants 600 for the whole 82 CJ, the interior is screwed and the tub is rusted out the bottom. Would the hard top and doors and stuff for the 88 fit on the 82? I might just go that direction if so and take all the parts I can off the YJ and fix up the CJ. might be easier than going through all that jazz to put the inline 4.2 in the YJ.
Holtcjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
Kowalski
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That's a really great deal for the CJ.
as far as matching parts...their almost all the same.
you can even replace the fenders, dash, top, doors, and engine easily. They're both carb'd, so an engine swap would be pretty easy. but your transmision in your 88 won't fit a 4.2, so that would have to go.
Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have to say if the tub and other YJ parts will fit the CJ I'd go that route so the drive train won't have to be touched. I just did a 4.3 V6 swap with an Ax-15 in mine. For the people saying it's better to just buy one with a 6 in it already because it's too much work...it really isn't. Yes you do have to remove the 4 cyl mounts and get new ones welded on, mod the skid for the new tranny and shorten the rear drive shaft. Other than that it's just wiring the new computer and harness to your Jeep. If you have all the parts and tools to do it you can get it done in just a few weekends.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Its not too much work. I figure I have around 600 hours into the swap so far. . Thats me alone from this past June until now.
be ready to spend alot of cash
The swap is worth , ever see a YJ do a posi burn out on 33s ?

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.