engine swap now no spark.,, - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > engine swap now no spark.,,

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 12-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
tbramich

engine swap now no spark.,,

back story- so i have an 89 yj with a 2.5l that i think had a cherokee engine swap before my time. the engine had a bad head gasket, low compression and knocking- but it did run and start everytime. i decided to swap it for a 94 yj 2.5l.

while both engines were side by side on the ground, intakes and exhaust manifolds were swapped. any electrical components (oil pressure switch and such) were swapped. also the distributor was swapped, but i decided to stay with the serpentine belt design so i used the 94 alternator.

i used the original wiring harness and spliced the alternator into the old harness, continuity checks out. i never removed the ignition module.

well everything is now connected and it cranks but i have no spark..

any ideas?

tbramich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is this a standard shift 5 speed? If so, which flywheel did you go with?
And there are two types of alternators, internally regulated, and externally regulated.
Unread 12-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
tbramich

i used the flywheel from the 94. actually i used the transmission and tcase from the 94 also. just swapped it all over as 1 unit
Unread 12-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

that would be your problem. You have a MPFI flywheel and a SPFI (TBI) carb. Either switch intakes back over or change flywheels. You will also need the computer from the 94

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I did almost the same swap into mine...88 TBI out and MPI from a 94 in.
Why didn't you drop the whole 94 in and upgrade to the MPI? Splicing in the computer from the 94 into your harness is not that hard and you can keep all your stock gauges as well. I think Mark is right and your going to have to swap parts back over and use the 94 computer. The 89 computer wont run the MPI setup.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2011, 04:37 AM   #6
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
that would be your problem. You will also need the computer from the 94
What Mark said.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
tbramich

uh oh , dont have the pc. thought i could just swap the stuff over and it would work. ill see if the guy still has the pc, anyone have a link to how to splice it in?
Unread 12-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
tbramich

funny thing i did a v8 tbi swap in my last wrangler and had less issues lol
Unread 12-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbramich View Post
uh oh , dont have the pc. thought i could just swap the stuff over and it would work. ill see if the guy still has the pc, anyone have a link to how to splice it in?
If you get the PC and the harness from the new motor...You can just cut the whole cable that goes to the 89 computer at the firewall ...(about 1/2" diameter about in the middle of the firewall) after you take the battery cables off. Remove the rest of the wiring from the old TBI motor labelling the wires from the sensors and anything that goes to the big block connector by the brake booster. I've got a list somewhere that has the wiring colors and what they should go to from my swap but will have to find it. ALL of your factory gauges will still work with the 94 but I think I had to swap over a couple of sensors from my 88 to the 94 for it to work. I mounted the PC by the brake booster and washer bottle securing it to the support rod.
You can also put the MPI harness on a diet by removing any wires not needed as well. Just follow them out and make sure they don't go to anything your going to need. I got rid of all the fuel pump wires and a few others as I kept the 88 harness wires that went to that.
It sounds very intimidating but don't be afraid of it. I went from this rats nest of wires...

To this...

I know this is from my Vortec swap but the MPI 2.5 is almost a stand alone install using the MPI harness. Only wires you really are using from the TBI are going to be the ground, Ign and power wires. Just about all the other wiring will be from the large block connector going to the starter and gauge hookups.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 12:11 AM   #10
tbramich

i got the computer today, plan to start swapping the intake and harness back over tomorrow and sunday

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.