Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Engine swap into an 87 Wrangler

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mike_breaker_5 
#1 ·
I''m new to Jeeps and have bought a project for my 13 year old son's first project. I'm familiar with hot rods, but not 4X4 of any kind. The motor is bad in the Jeep. It is a 6 cyl and I was wondering about "easy" transplants...maybe a chevy 350???? I see engine mounts,etc readily available. My question is does the SBC bolt up the Jeep trans...do you transplant chevy engine and trans or what is the easiest way. I am looking for an enjoyable project, so if it is too difficult we will just rebuild the 6. If there is something easier, I am opento suggestions, but already have a couple of SBC

#5 ·
OK, so I'm getting the impression that a conversion may not be the best thing for my son's first major project. Two questions:
(1) A transplant of the complete drivetrain from an S-10 has been suggested on another forum.
(2) Are there other AMC/Jeep engine options that woudl give better performance an fuel econimy?
The current engine is shot, and based on the price of long blocks or rebuilds, a swap seems to make sense vs replace/upgrade of the current one.

#6 ·
I would look for a pullout of the motor that was in your Jeep. Doing a swap for MPG increases is always a bad idea, it takes like 80 years to recoup the cost of doing it. Check out some of the threads, there is a lot that goes into making an engine change work. That novak site has a lot of great info also.

#7 ·
I would suggest that for a first project, a rebuild on the stock motor would be perfect.

If you're looking at putting a new motor into it, a SBC is a decent option. Lots of aftermarket support and conversion kits available. Novaks website is good but also look at Advance Adapters as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you do swap in a chev motor you're looking at pretty much a full drivetrain replacement, plus new cooling, fuel system, exhaust etc. The motor is only part of the equation.

#8 ·
I would suggest that for a first project, a rebuild on the stock motor would be perfect.

If you're looking at putting a new motor into it, a SBC is a decent option. Lots of aftermarket support and conversion kits available. Novaks website is good but also look at Advance Adapters as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you do swap in a chev motor you're looking at pretty much a full drivetrain replacement, plus new cooling, fuel system, exhaust etc. The motor is only part of the equation.
as Giviner stated here, sbc is a viable option but.... if your heart is just 100% set on that sbc, as was mine until i came across a 318, and ur not too horribly worried about some added cost initially but saved time in the long run. go on a search for a nv3550 tranny from a newer wrangler, they are identical in almost every way to an ax-15 except it is a 1/2 ton tranny compared to the 1/4 ton ax-15 you have now. bolt pattern tunnel dimensions mounting locations all the same. you might have to get a new output shaft but that's about it. novak and advanced adapters both make conversion parts to go b/n sbc and the ax-15/nv2550... clutch plates, flywheels, t/o bearing, all that jazz. the nv tranny won't take as much as some others but if you want that chevy roar. this might be an option for you. there is some debate about how a nv3550 won't take the rigors of a sbc but if you aren't rock crawling or tryinto burn oversized tires on dry pavement you should have alot of life from that tranny motor combo. good luck to you in your build

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.