Engine Swap Help for a Newbie - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Swap Help for a Newbie

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
PeterSyz
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Engine Swap Help for a Newbie

I'm running a 2.4L 4 banger in my 91 YJ and it's just not getting the job done, I need more power. I'm currently at the beginning of my search and I know that there are alot of different engine swaps that are possible. (4.0, 302, 5.2, etc.) I would like if you guys could give me some suggestions on the best (easiest, fastest, most cost effective) that you have done. Most likely going to do it myself. Any help is appreciated, Thanks guys!

Last edited by PeterSyz; 09-21-2012 at 11:19 PM..
PeterSyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
lutzke21

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dude, not trying to dissuade you, but even if you had the engine, tranny and transfer case, $1,000 to $2,000 is still a little unrealistic.

Fuel system needs to be worked out, depending on what engine you pick (TBI vs. FI vs. carb)
Cooling system, stock is only good for the stock engine.
Wiring system-cheapest is doing it yourself, no small task. You want the engine to think it's still in it's original home.
Motor mounts, trans mount

Not to mention the barely-capable-stock Dana 35 rear end.

Engine swaps have a way of nickle and diming you.

'94 YJ on 35s

Sept '14 YJOTM
July '13 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
PeterSyz
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, forget the money. I just want to get some ideas considering I'm in the beginning of my process. I'm not looking to do this in the next week, more like a year or two from now.
PeterSyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
lutzke21

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cool, research the hell outta Novak and AA's website. That's a good first place to go. Tons of other stuff on here and other forums too. Search is your friend.

I have a TBI 5.7, 4L60E out of my old suburban for my swap. But now I'm considering a new 5.3 instead. I've been planning mine for about 5 years now, but just don't have the liquidable funds right now. Either way I chose Chevy because the engine is so popular (huge aftermarket), the market has a ton of solutions for this swap, and.. well I have the drivetrain (assuming I go with my 5.7).

In the meantime, I've slowly upgrade other stuff in preparation (axle, suspension, etc.).

First thing is selecting your powerplant, because most everything else will be specific to that decision.

'94 YJ on 35s

Sept '14 YJOTM
July '13 YJOTM
Unread 09-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Late model magnum mopar is probably the most straight forward swap out there. No changes to fuel pump, cooling system, gauges, etc. Wiring is pretty much the hardest part. Dana 35 rear is something that should be addressed though with any v8 swap.
Unread 09-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
lutzke21

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You're running a 4-cyl rad with your Magnum?

'94 YJ on 35s

Sept '14 YJOTM
July '13 YJOTM
Unread 09-25-2012, 02:51 AM   #7
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The 4.0 fits nicely, just have to move motor mounts and get matching wiring harnesses. It is the easiest and cheapest of all swaps as the Jeep came with them. Best way is find a full vehicle (XJ) and use the entire driveline as the transfer case won't match up from a 2.5 to a 4.0 due to different outputs shafts sizes on your tranny.

I am just finishing this up. I had a donor YJ and life was easy (except the wrong wiring harness) probably could have done it in a weekend if everything was clean and ready to go. I did lot's of cleaning and repainting while I had it apart.

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzke21 View Post
You're running a 4-cyl rad with your Magnum?
This one http://www.oconeeoffroad.com/servlet...rangler/Detail but it's physically the same size as my original, just the outlets relocated.
Unread 09-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Easiest most cost effective is to sell your Jeep and buy one with the 4.0. Beside doing that I am in the middle of a 5.3 swap and it is close to 4k.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's hard for me to agree with these guys. I'm in the process of gathering parts for the 2.5 to 4.0 swap and after I'm done I will be $1500 dollars into it. If I had been patient, I could have waited and parted the parts xj out and made most of my money back but I chose a different route. As far as selling mine and buy one with a 4.0, absolutely not an option my jeep is MY jeep and I'm taking it to the grave.
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I would have to disagree also. I checked before buying on my 2.5-4.0 swap and after replacement of engine, trans, and tcase I was looking at $1000+/-. I bought an 89 Chevy 1500. I got my engine trans, tcase wiring, fuel pump etc. I paid 400 for truck with bad head gasket. I ran up about 600 at machine shop, 250 for rebuild kit, and 150 for tranny kit and tq conv. A bit of steel since its for the xj and some hoses, and etc. Fully possible on a budget if you have the time and patience. Takes about 5 wires to run the engine and kept all my original wiring to splice in lighting and such. In a yj just build or buy some mounts and a cross member and call it done.

Not far off at the 2k mark. I did have to spend a lot on steel, but he has a solid platform and I put it in a darn tuna can.
Doable, just shop around for a donor. Wrecked, broken, or otherwise . I'm all about budget beaters! And jeeps with SBC

Forgot to mention after selling parts and scrapping the cab/bed I made more than my initial investment back. Say it with me....free Chevy drivetrain.
Unread 09-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a rusted POS YJ with a 4.0 AX15 for $700 and now have a total of about $1200 into the project and have already sold $400 worth of parts and still have an AX5 and NP 231 along with a whole bunch of small parts to sell. By the time I am done I should just about break even and come out of it with a 4.0 AX15 setup.. well worth it for me.

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
Unread 09-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
oteps
1980 CJ5 

I broke even or made money on my 4.0 swap. Didnt really keep track. Sold the 2.5 $200 ax5 $100 Bought xj for $400 parted what I could and took the rest to the scrap yard. But I also put a new frame under it and soa at the same time, that cost a little $$.
oteps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Chevy 5.3, easiest, best bang/horsepower for your buck, most options, most aftermarket support, most info, easiest wiring, most reliable engine.

After doing a TBI 5.7 swap, 2 5.3 swaps, and a 4BT swap, 5.3 is the best/easiest/cheapest.

Give Novak a call and ask them the same question, they will tell you what I just said.

I have never done a 4.0 swap, but I always said if you are going to go through the trouble of an engine swap, you may as well just go all the way.

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeeper11
Chevy 5.3, easiest, best bang/horsepower for your buck, most options, most aftermarket support, most info, easiest wiring, most reliable engine.

After doing a TBI 5.7 swap, 2 5.3 swaps, and a 4BT swap, 5.3 is the best/easiest/cheapest.

Give Novak a call and ask them the same question, they will tell you what I just said.

I have never done a 4.0 swap, but I always said if you are going to go through the trouble of an engine swap, you may as well just go all the way.
How much does the 350 swap cost by the time you go from start to finish?

My 4.0 swap cost a total of $1200 which I am slowly recouping back as I sell spare parts so it should cost almost next to nothing. So far i am back down to $800 and have lots more crap to get rid of.

So how can anything be cheaper unless they are paying you to do it.

Tags
2.5 , engine , newbie , swap , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.