Engine Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Swap

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.com

Unread 07-08-2001, 11:28 PM   #1
Drewson

Engine Swap

I have a 1993 with the dreaded 2.5L engine, running TSL 35 inch tires. After eight years and 130K miles, it is time to swap the engine for the 4.0L (in this area, I can only swap with an engine offered for my model year, so a V-8 is out).

Does anyone have an opinion on going with a replacement/rebuild or getting a new engine in the crate from Jeep?

I see rebuilt engines everywhere. Does anyone have a contact at MOPAR from pricing on a new engine?

Chrome/diamond plate everything not welded on
Drewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2001, 09:28 AM   #2
forcefed

I too am looking to do this. It looks like it shouldn't be too bad. for me, the name of the game looks like, find a crashed or very used 4.0L wrangler or XJ (probably at a junkyard)and start swaping. Im hoping to find one before they strip it out and get a package price for all the big stuff + have them throw in all the little stuff. When it comes to the engine, rebuild it before bolting it in. I figure Im gonna need the complete engine, tranny, ECU and Wire harness (this will be the worst part) + motormounts and fan shroud.
forcefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2001, 03:33 PM   #3
jurgey

I am swapping in a GM 305 TPI into a 89 YJ. Need advice on wiring. I have the entire wiring harness and computer from the GM engine. What problems might we encounter hooking everything up?
Thanks!
Chris
Unread 07-16-2001, 04:13 PM   #4
jurgey

I am swapping in a GM 305 TPI into a 89 YJ. Need advice on wiring. I have the entire wiring harness and computer from the GM engine. What problems might we encounter hooking everything up?
Thanks!
Chris
Unread 07-16-2001, 11:52 PM   #5
DeathWrangler

hey if you guys find out the best engine to put in a 94 yj, please let me know i got the 2.5, but i got to crank it up some more. I was looking at a 4.0 liter, but didn't know if i'd have to get another transmission for it too. i am a novice at this, mechanicly wise. but i am good with lighting and radio work if anybody has any questions i could help them with. i'm currently getiing about 1000 watts out of my stereo. heheheh, hope to hear from someone about the engine soon thanks for your help
DeathWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2001, 07:49 PM   #6
fuelin

i'd suggest to stay away from the LT1 engine as the distributer hangs right in front of the engine...the fbodys and corvettes have had many problems with the distributer in this location as water is easily picked up in that area imagine the amount of water during even a small stream crossing!
...of course if you switch the lt1 to a distributerless ign system.....
fuelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2001, 08:08 PM   #7
Pantera

Ummmm, I thought the LT1 WAS a distubutor-less system... If not, my bad...
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2001, 10:32 PM   #8
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The LT1 is not truly distributorless. The 350 cid. LT1 uses what GM calls an "Optispark". Or, as those of us in Camaro clubs like to call them, "Opticrap." The Opticrap is a camshaft-driven distributor that is HIGHLY prone to failure, even on road-bound vehicles. And replacing a dead Opti is not exactly what I consider to be a fun job...

Also, the LT1 in the Camaro has 2-bolt mains; the Corvette LT1 has 4-bolt mains. No late-model LTx engine ever had 6-bolt mains, as the block was directly derived from it's predecessor, the L98. Differences also include aluminum (on the LT1) vs. iron heads, new fuel injection design, and reverse-flow cooling system (1993-1994; normal cooling from 1995-1997).

However, you can purchase a GM crate LS1 346 cid as currently used in 1998+ Camaros and 1997+ Corvettes. These are all-aluminum blocks and heads with true distributorless ignition (8 coils, 8 wires, all handled by the PCM). All aluminum LS1's regardless of application have 6-bolt mains. The LS1 is laughably rated at 320 HP / 330 TQ. The reality is that they're closer to 350 HP / 350 TQ. The LS1 shares no parts or designs with LTx and earlier engines.

Oh, by the way, did you guess that I also own a Camaro...?
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2001, 03:03 PM   #9
fuelin

well you can put in a v8 and i would recommend a '93 mustang 302 it will work as it is the same year as the jeep and is about a 100 pounds lighter than the chevy 350's however a 350 chevy tbi or vortec will also work if you do not mind the extra weight...as far as the LS1 goes correct me if i am wrong but i have heard it is even heavier then the chevy 350's even though it is all aluminum and a LS1 crate motor will set you back at least $7000 for just the motor at that price you could almost get a viper v10 out of a wrecked one.
fuelin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.