Engine Swap... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Swap...

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
HooahYJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Engine Swap...

Sorry for the noob question but i am unable to find the answer...

I have a '95 YJ with a 4 cyl. engine factory transmission and factory axle.

I want to swap in a new engine something bigger then a 4 banger.
What engines would be best for me to swap in and when i do what all will i need to go with it.. EX: transmission, computer, axles....

And where would be the best place to get what i need

Unread 10-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A 4.0 from anopther Jeep woule be the easiest and probably the cheapest way to go. You can buy a donor vehilce and take the drivetrain and computer/wiring harness out and swap it into your Jeep.

You'll have to relocate your motor mounts too.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...mation-537763/

Read here and you'll have all the info you should need.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
idolax
1992 YJ Wrangler 

TheNewbie will let you use his guns and you go to the store and take the parts and all the cash. (sell the yj and buy a jeep you want) I'll take your four cyl mine died i need an ez swap!
idolax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
HooahYJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yea thanks for the replies but as bad as it hurts me to say i think you are right. I think i should just get a new jeep instead of goin through all the trouble
Unread 10-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You might find a new frame that is setup for a I6. That would work. Change over the rest to it.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Or before going to all that trouble just look into re gearing the axles. That might give you what you're looking for.

My build thread...
Unread 10-19-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
intub8u
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You want to win races? Or do you want to have a capable off roader? I say spend the money you would spend on a 6cyl or swap and mod your existing ride the way you want. re-gear, stronger axles, lift etc etc etc etc.
intub8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
HooahYJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Is ther any way to tell what your gear ratio is?? I bought my jeep already with mods EX lift etc. And im not sure the guy changed the gear ration when he installed 33s
Unread 10-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
steinmetzme
1998 TJ Wrangler 

first off are you able to use 5th gear when going down the road? if not then he never changed the gears. I have a 4 banger and have switched to 4.56 gears and upgraded the rear to a detroit locker and the front has an Ox selectable locker in it. also the rear has superior axle upgrade in it. also put on a header and a cold air intake onto it and over all it runs pretty damn good. can actually get up to around 80 mph and my fuel mileage is between 15-16 mpg depending on how i am driving it and whether my road rage is kicking in.
steinmetzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinmetzme View Post
first off are you able to use 5th gear when going down the road?
That's the "easy way" to tell. Or you can jack it up so that the tires are off the ground and turn the wheels while counting how many times the driveshaft turns for every rotation of the wheels.

Stock you more than likely had a 4.10 gear ratio. Going to 4.56 or better yet 4.88 would help a lot.

I'm still rollin' the 4.10's with a 4 banger and 33's myself, but if I had more time and money gearing would be on the top of the list.

My build thread...
Unread 10-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
HooahYJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinmetzme View Post
first off are you able to use 5th gear when going down the road?
Yea i am able to use 5th going down the road. And it seems to me that my 4 banger doesnt have to much problem on the road. Offroad you can tell its a 4 banger a little bit. But defintly going to get a new jeep with larger engine now that i have the wife's approval hahaha

Tags
engine swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.