Engine stalls on left turns... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine stalls on left turns...

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 12-02-2003, 09:09 AM   #1
GoGo
2012 JK Wrangler 

Engine stalls on left turns...

I had this problem about a month ago. When making a somewhat agressive left turn shifting from 1st to 2nd, the engine would stall. I looked some stuff over, and figured it was either fuel or ignition (short somewhere). Since then I have replaced the engine (unrelated issue), and this past weekend the same problem arose.

I have not been able to look down at the tach during the stall (which, if I'm not mistaken would drop to zero if it was an ignition problem). I can smell raw fuel when it happens, but I do smell raw fuel more frequently than I'd normally expect.

When the engine stalls (all loss of power but sounds like the engine is trying to run), I can depress the clutch for about a second, release it, and all is well. Any guesses as to whether it's fuel, ignition or something else?

If it shut down all together, I would definetly suspect ignition as the culprit, but seeing as it doesn't really shutdown completely, I more suspect fuel. (It's a 90 2.5 with TBI).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GoGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2003, 01:21 PM   #2
89 []III[] YJ

Engine stalls on left turns

Can't say for sure that this would be the culprit...

but have you checked your power steering setup?

How is the fluid level? Also what about the belts?

Just a thought.
89 []III[] YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2003, 04:38 PM   #3
YJWOLF

Could it be a dented gas tank? Make a hard left, all the gas goes to one side and doesnt get picked up because of a dent in the tank? Seen it before. HTH.
Unread 12-03-2003, 06:30 PM   #4
lostboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo
I had this problem about a month ago. When making a somewhat agressive left turn shifting from 1st to 2nd, the engine would stall. I looked some stuff over, and figured it was either fuel or ignition (short somewhere). Since then I have replaced the engine (unrelated issue), and this past weekend the same problem arose.

I have not been able to look down at the tach during the stall (which, if I'm not mistaken would drop to zero if it was an ignition problem). I can smell raw fuel when it happens, but I do smell raw fuel more frequently than I'd normally expect.

When the engine stalls (all loss of power but sounds like the engine is trying to run), I can depress the clutch for about a second, release it, and all is well. Any guesses as to whether it's fuel, ignition or something else?

If it shut down all together, I would definetly suspect ignition as the culprit, but seeing as it doesn't really shutdown completely, I more suspect fuel. (It's a 90 2.5 with TBI).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I don't know if this is gonna help, but my first suspicion is the rollover valve on the passenger side I think. It's designed to shut off fuel flow in case of a rollover and since you say the smell is stronger than normal and it only happens on left turns,that would be my best guess.
Unread 12-04-2003, 05:01 AM   #5
BamaJeeper

The roll over valves just keep the gas from flowing back through the tank vent to the charcoal can in a roll over. They have no affect on the motors operation.

Check the battery connections. Is the battery strapped down?

While the engine is at idle turn the wheels all the way to the left and right. If the motor dies the power steering sensor is bad.
Unread 12-04-2003, 08:10 AM   #6
GoGo
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies, I'll check the stuff out you all mentioned this weekend.
GoGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2003, 08:08 PM   #7
DanaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo
Thanks for the replies, I'll check the stuff out you all mentioned this weekend.
When I had an 88 2.5 liter YJ this happened all the time. What my solution was was to never let the tank get below half on the gaugue. It only did it when the fuel was low.

I didnt have a dented gas tank or anything. It just did it.

Look at your gas gauge next time you do it. Mine would go to empty on a left turn and then back up to 1/2.

Anyways, with my 91, I still never let the gas get below 1/2 tank. Its just old habits with a wrangler.

The Jeep fuel gauges really seem to suck.

I get 240 miles and I am at half tank. When I fill, I still have about 8 gallon of fuel left. I can go for 150 miles on a full tank, then the next 95 takes a half tank.

I just dont trust YJ fuel gauges.

-Dana
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2004, 09:16 AM   #8
semper fi
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry, I know that this is late so if you already figured it out then disregard...
I had this problem too, for about 9 months,and after three times, the dealer still could not locate it. Another post disregarded the "rollover valve" but that is exactly what it was. Not the valve itself,but the reducer rubber hose that connects the valve to the metal vent line. The reducer hose was severed (and I wonder how the dealer missed that,especially after dropping the tank!) At the time, in 1998, the part was 7 bucks. Very easy to do yourself. You need to pry down the plastic protective flap at the rear passenger corner to access it. As for the shut down on left turns, I still have that occasionally. It does eventually get worse over time, but I've learned to manage it by refueling before I'm down to 2 gallons. Also, try taking those left turns very slow and easy. If it still shuts off, and if you have a clutch, pop it a few times, and the starter will kick it back on (I think) so you don't have to crank it. Dropped the tank 3 times, it is not the pump. There is a little pre screen that kept falling off the pump. But that was not really the problem... I believe that it has to do with the baffle in the tank. It must have a small leak so that when the fuel gets low, enough of it drops out of the baffle area so that the pump cannot pick it up anymore. I probably need a new tank, but it can wait. Tell me if you found a different solution!
semper fi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.