Engine stalling while driving after engine warms up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine stalling while driving after engine warms up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and

Unread 04-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
Liquified
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Engine stalling while driving after engine warms up

92 Wrangler 4.0

So lately when my engine gets warm my jeep is beginning to completely stall out when giving it gas and shifting through the gears in 2nd or 3rd. Engine cuts and everything. I pull over and wait about 3-4 minutes and it will crank back up. It will idle fine and not cut out no matter how long its sitting. If I take back off again with normal gas and shifting it will stall again about 1/4 mile down the road but if I shift at very low RPM's I can manage to get it home without a stall.

If its cold out i'm not getting this problem. Only if its warm out around 75 and above.

Any ideas on where to start? Really annoying and want to get this fixed! HELP PLEASE!

Liquified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
pete1991YJ
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

First of all welcome to JeepForum, you've just found one of the best jeep sites anywhere!

Very first thing I would do is to see if there's any trouble codes stored in the computer. Its easy to check, all you need is the ignition key! here's a video that shows how:

Try that first and let us know what happens ok?
Unread 04-14-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
Liquified
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've tried running the codes with the 3 turns from run but bothing comes up. I don't even get the flashing. Just goes to normal lights on the dash
Unread 04-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
pete1991YJ
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Does the check engine light come on at all right before you start it up? If not I would check and see if the light bulb is OK first. If the bulb *never* lights up even if its good, then you've got computer probs most likely. Its better to check a few things first before reaching that conclusion.
Unread 04-16-2015, 05:55 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Its from ignition off to ignition on. 2 times and the 3rd you leave it on.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2015, 07:14 AM   #6
mark23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same issue with my 2.5l jeep, not sure if that matters but it ended up being a bad coil pack.
mark23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
Liquified
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
Does the check engine light come on at all right before you start it up? If not I would check and see if the light bulb is OK first. If the bulb *never* lights up even if its good, then you've got computer probs most likely. Its better to check a few things first before reaching that conclusion.
Just took the dash down and to my surprise its missing 4 bulbs in total. Check Engine, ABS, Hazard and the burnt bulb indicator. Looks like a previous owner may of been trying to be sneaky. Going to replace those bulbs tomorrow.
Unread 04-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #8
Liquified
1992 YJ Wrangler 

First sunny day in awhile here so I was able to get the jeep out on the road today. Started with hooking up a fuel pressure tester and it read 31 lbs of pressure. Went for a drive and was able to get it to stall out. Pulled off the side of the road and hooked up the fuel pressure tester and started it back up and still read 31 lbs of pressure and there is spark. So I am guessing this is ruling out the fuel pump as it seems to be working fine

It is throwing some codes and I think I got these codes correct, I recorded it to make sure. It seems to be throwing 12, 33, 11, 41. Do any of these make sense to this issue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjV9oluPprQ

If the crank position sensor was bad would it even be cranking since it has a spark?

Fuel Filter?
Unread 04-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes they do number 11 is the crank position sensor
Unread 04-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #10
pete1991YJ
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

More than likely its intermittent based on the temperature... the sensor heats up with the engine, and then it flakes out.
Unread 04-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #11
Liquified
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Bought the sensor a little earlier tonight. Going to pick it up tomorrow morning and install and will report back. Fingers crossed
Unread 04-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #12
Liquified
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So i picked up the Crankshaft Position Sensor this morning and installed it (pain in the *** to get to an get off an on) and took it out. Got about 2 miles and it stalled again. Had to wait about 30 seconds and it started back up again. Drove about 2 more miles and it stalled again. Waited 30 seconds and started no problem and got it home. Do I need to reset the codes for the new CPS to function correctly? Not sure where to go now.

One thing I did notice and not sure if it would be related is that when cold my oil pressure is around 50 but the more I drive the lower it gets. By the time I got home it was hovering at about 10 when idle and got to maybe 20 while driving.
Unread 04-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You should do a battery reset to clear the codes. It takes a long 3 count. Check to make sure the codes are clear. Drive it and see if it stalls. Immeadiately recheck the codes. I see that it only happens warm. There are a few possibilities. You need a meter to check a couple readings. The coolant temp sensor in the front by the tstat, the intake air temp sensor.

Does it only happen after the Jeep has warmed up?
Unread 04-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #14
Liquified
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You should do a battery reset to clear the codes. It takes a long 3 count. Check to make sure the codes are clear. Drive it and see if it stalls. Immeadiately recheck the codes. I see that it only happens warm. There are a few possibilities. You need a meter to check a couple readings. The coolant temp sensor in the front by the tstat, the intake air temp sensor.

Does it only happen after the Jeep has warmed up?
Yes it only happens when warmed up. Might as well change the coolant temp sensor since its easy and cheap. Where is the intake air temp sensor, is it this one that is circled?

Unread 04-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do not replace the sensors. If it only happens when the vehicle is warm then it's an 02 issue. chances are you have a cracked manifold or a bad o2 sensor. you need to check the manifold at the collector tubes for cracks and check the exhaust manifold for loose or missing bolts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.