Engine sputters, bucks, - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine sputters, bucks,

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Engine sputters, bucks,

I've been dealing with this for a couple months now.

Shortly after starting the engine starts, it will begin to sputter and drop RPMs as if it was about to stall out, the RPMs will climb back and the idle will smooth out. It goes through this cycle on average maybe 3-4 times and then is fine for the remainder of my trip.

If I don't let have seizure time, It will do it while I'm accelerating in lower gears a few times and then run fine. When it happens while I'm driving, I will try to give it gas but it's as if it's not getting any more gas. After maybe 5-6 seconds of this, it will make a loud pop and everything will be fine. When it gets gas again, it get's a lot of gas and bucks pretty badly sometimes. I've gotten a bit used to it and I'm pretty quick on the clutch when it happens.

I replaced the fuel filter a couple weeks ago. I've searched this a bunch but it seems like nobody has the same symptoms so I come to you guys for help. I was thinking about replacing the oxygen sensor and cleaning out the throttle body, do you think it would help?

The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check for codes.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
wpnschief
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check your fuel pressure tthe shrader valve on your fuel rail. Pressure should be 31 lbs and go up to 39 when you pull the vacuum line off the pressur regulator. When you stop the engine the pressure should slowly bleed down. This is the cheapest easiest way to diagnose your problem. The parts you chase on this problem can get expensive.
wpnschief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
youngYJ95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check out the TPS. I had a similar problem but mine would stall. The TPS would get very dirty because of blow by so I put a breather on the the CCV and its fine now. Also check your vaccum lines

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.