Engine Skid Plates? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Skid Plates?

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 08-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Fred007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Engine Skid Plates?

What are the thoughts on engine skid plates, specifically with a Chevy v8 installed? Is this something I would need to fab up, or are there good solutions already out there?

On a totally different subject, I just recently ran across a hitch mount for a hijack but can't seem to find it now. Any experiences with that kind of setup out there?

Thanks.

Fred007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
bigredcherokee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How much lower does the v8 set than a 4.0? I would think you still could use a skid made for a 90 yj.
Unread 08-26-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Fred007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure about how much lower, did not measure before I took out the 6. Here is a shot of what it looks like below.

I'm also curious if most folks that do trails/rocks have engine skid plates? Thanks.

Oh, and here is my copilot
Fred007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
bigredcherokee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't see why a engine tranny skid wouldn't work. Skid row makes one and rustys has one.

It all depends on $$$ and if that is what they are looking for. I know we put on on my buddys TJ and it was great! He had an auto though.

Hansom copilot
Unread 08-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can fab one up. Did mine about a week ago. Honestly the hardest part was figuring out where (and more importantly how) to mount the front supports.

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, using chevy junk, they need all the protection they can get. Installing it in a jeep where's it is surounded by good metal is all ready more protection than whatever it came out of hee hee.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You could just weld some 1/4" stock to the flat bottom of the pan. All you are looking if protection from a rock tearing the thinner sheet metal. My GM pan is aluminum, so my fix was a taller lift and higher motor mounts .
Unread 08-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
cooltc2004
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
Yeah, using chevy junk, they need all the protection they can get. Installing it in a jeep where's it is surounded by good metal is all ready more protection than whatever it came out of hee hee.
Yeah, but it wanted it to be somewhat reliable, that's why he went with Chevy over Ford.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.