engine shuts down while driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > engine shuts down while driving

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-27-2002, 04:17 PM   #1
jamesscott

engine shuts down while driving

Hello all, I've a big problem with my 91 wrangler S. 2.5 liter. The engine will occationally shut itself off. I can't predict when this is going to happen. The only clue to its origin and possible resolution is that when it stalls the fuel guage pegs itself passed full. I'm guessing that this means that the guage is shorting out. Anyhow, most times if I wait a few seconds the fuel guage goes back down to its metered level and I can start the engine again. At times when it hasn't gone down immediately, I've opened the hood and tugged & pulled at the wire harness. No particular area, I just tug & pull. It seems to help. I can't reproduce the "pegging fuel guage" by messing with the wire harness so I cant reproduce the cause. Someday I'm going to get stuck. Please help. This is the first time I've used a web forum. Thanks Jamesscott

jamesscott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2002, 07:58 PM   #2
rollinashortysahara

ok
once again this happend to my roomate both his wrangler and his parents grand cherokee
it was the crank shaft possitioning sensor the dealership said. 1t was about 150000 miles on each. i couldn't find it in the book but they both work now so i guess thats what it was
the book being hayes
rollinashortysahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2002, 12:42 PM   #3
gifargis

I think you have to different problems...
First is the immediate shut off-- check your distributor rotor its going flat which means no spark to the plugs thus engine immediate shut off...
swap your rotor and/or distributor and you should be fine there.
next is your fuel gauge sensor going crazy.
its just the float in the fuel tank doing that.. when you step on the throttle the gauge goes to Full and when at idle its back down to regular level..
you might need a new fuel float/sender unit
Unread 02-01-2002, 12:38 AM   #4
SFM1AE2

When I wired up my MSD ignition box the ground wasn't tight and the engine shut off a couple of times while I was on the freeway so I'm guessing it is the wiring somewhere to the distributor. Just a thought.
Unread 02-02-2002, 11:59 PM   #5
BlueFlyz_Yj

Its gotta be your distributor, when i first bought my jeep when i was driving it home it just cut off in the middle of the road. Took a while to figure it out, but once we put a new distributor never done it again
Unread 02-03-2002, 01:13 PM   #6
2jeeps

I had the same thing happen to me about six months ago. Turned out it was the fuel sending unit. It was a nightmare to replace. Since I have a 90 wrangler it was hard for the dealership to get the right part. It took six tries to get it right. Good luck
2jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.