Engine screaming like it saw something very scary - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine screaming like it saw something very scary

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
TheBootlegger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Engine screaming like it saw something very scary

My 4 cyl just goes nuts when I turn it on.. Loudest screeching, squealing sound evar. I started it for the first time tonight after 4 months of changing a bunch of stuff on it, I expected a rough start, but everytime I turn the key all hell breaks loose. I hear the engine running fine under the loud *** scream though, and it was running great last time I started it. Temperature is under the freezing point most of the time now, and I suspect the serpentine belt or water pump to be the criminals. Is there anything else that could cause such a disturbing, evil, ear shattering sound? Thanks!

note: I started it inside so the squeal might have sounded louder lol

TheBootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Belts, Check the tension on your serpentine. Even check for wet or dryness.

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like one of the accessory drive bearings is gone.... my bet would be on the idler pulley, but COULD be alternator, water or PS pumps.
remove the belt and see if any of the pulleys can be wobbled by hand. they SHOULD be rock solid with no noticeable movement. start with the idler which is the pulley that's just bolted to the block, not driving any motor or pump

Good luck
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
pbmustache
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The alternators seizes up all the time after they sit for awhile. Take the belt off and spin the pulleys. You should be able to tell which one is bad or seized.
pbmustache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
TheBootlegger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome thanks! I'll check it as soon as I got time.
Unread 10-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Start it with no belt first. For piece of mind. Just for a minute
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
TheBootlegger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Solved. Alternator was Seized!
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
pbmustache
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That's good news @thebootlegger
pbmustache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.