Engine rebuild tips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine rebuild tips

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #1
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Engine rebuild tips

Hi all...
I'm rebuilding my '87 4.2 and would love to read about some of the tips you experienced people have. I already have the block, head, manifolds, pistons, crankshaft, etc. back from the machine shop and ready to assemble. The reason for the rebuild started as a leaking rear main and a oil pan that refused to come off. I'm glad I decided to rebuild as I found 2 cracked pistons, worn timing gears, and peeling cam bearings. I'm not new to rebuilding engines... it's just been awhile and I know that there could be some new things I can learn.

One question I have... the Haynes manual says to put the crank in first. Unfortunately that doesn't leave a lot of room for installing the cam. Can I install the cam first?

Anyway, any tips you guys have would be appreciated. I've been down for 6 months due to a job loss and would really like to get this thing back together.

TIA

hdfxrs91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
Ares
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You should be able to install the cam first. Every rebuild i've done I have always put the cam in first reguardless.

I would say a good tip is to keep each valve/lifter/spring/retaining clip/rocker arm together from where they came off. So, the intake set of those on cylinder one would stay together, the exhaust set on cylinder two would stay together, etc if you'r not replacing any of those since they have a specific wear pattern. But since its already disassembled, oh well. And you should at least be replacing the springs anyway .

Tip two would be if you can do a 3-angle valve job and re-grind the valve seats. If you dont have the tools/knowhow, see if you can find someone to do it. The valve job alone will make a noticable difference in the engine and where its not life or death important, it sure helps. Gives the valves a much better seal.

Aside from that...go slow, don't brake anything, don't cut corners, and be sure you put the piston rings in right!

Axle Information Thread
Oil Filter Study
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. I had a machine shop do the head/valves for me, as well as hone the block, put the con rods on the new pistons, polish the crank... all the things a good machine shop does. As for the rockers, I can see the wear marks that differentiate the intake set form the exhaust set, so I'll be able to match those up.
hdfxrs91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Rockers and pushrods are cheap, I replaced those also when I built my stroker.
Read the links provided about premature cam wear, some people have had their cam die in as little as 3000 miles.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.