Engine Rattle!!! Help!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Rattle!!! Help!!!!

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
CrusherCurtis

Engine Rattle!!! Help!!!!

Engine started to rattle about a week ago. When revved it kind of gets drowned out. Took it in to shop about where they thought it might be a valve issue. Said he tried to adjust the valves but no luck and said the sound is coming from the bottom. His guess is its one of the gudgeon pins. He is by no means a jeep expert. The engine runs and drives fine. What is my next step? Its a 91 4.0 5 speed. I've been looking into just replacing it and it seems that only 91 4.0 speeds will work. Is this true? Whats the difference between a 95 4.0 and a 91? Also between engines with manuals vs. automatics? Are there any parts that could be swapped to make other 4.0's work?

CrusherCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

drain out about a half quart of oil and put in sum lucas oil treatment and see if it quiets her down...if so it probably is a valve tapping, but no swet that doesn't mean ur motor is toast...I have friend that has close to 200k on his and its been tapping real bad for about the last 50k n she runs fine, just a little louder than mine...But any 4.0 will work, 91-95 would be ideal and from a wrangler but even one from a cherokee would work just fine...
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
CrusherCurtis

Tired Lucas and it did quiet down a little. I will try to post a video tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
...But any 4.0 will work, 91-95 would be ideal and from a wrangler but even one from a cherokee would work just fine...
When I searched only 91 with manual transmissions came up. Also when I look up cherokee motors with automatics it says only Automatics will work. But this seems kinda weird to me.
CrusherCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.