Engine quits intermittently!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine quits intermittently!!!

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
rickbrins
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Engine quits intermittently!!!

95 wrangler 2.5L....First happened a month ago, first drive of the morning 4 blocks from home engine died. Would crank but not start. after sitting a minute or so it would start and run while sitting still, but die when I drive. Pulled it home, next morning bought a fuel filter (quick and easy optomism) before installing it everything ran normal, after installation, test driving around the neighborhood, hit speed bump, died, started back up and has run without issue for a month.

Yesterday, hit bump on the way into gas station, quit. Put gas in, started and ran fine for 20 minut drive, till I hit a rough road, died, again, would crank but not start, after 1 or two minutes, started fine and ran 3 blocks to friends house where it now sits while I work.

Any ideas where to start with this hard to duplicate intermittent problem!!! PLEASE!!

rickbrins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Matt24138
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe pull the batt cable while running and see if the alternator keeps it running. Could be a loose bad cable on the battery as well enough to crank but not enough to start. Happened to me once she would crank and crank. Turned out to be my negative cable wasn't tight enough to the post.
()_) ()_)---)_)
Matt24138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If hitting a bumb is doing it then you need to get under the hood and under the chasis and shake the harness while its running to see whats killing it. Make sure you check the harness going back to the tank. It could also be fuel. Hook up a pressure guage to the fuel rail. It should have 31-39 psi. Drive it until it happens.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
rickbrins
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Battery cables seem good and when it dies I still seem to have electric elsewhere. Do to the intermittent nature of the problem, I have yet to determine if it is fuel or spark. I will say that I hear the pump run when I turn the key, even when it wont start for that 1 or 2 minutes.
Unread 08-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
rickbrins
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have jigled the wires to the fuel pump, that had been an issue 6 years ago, but again, that all seems to be good and the pump runs, I plan on checking the fuel pressure when I get home tomorrow.
Unread 08-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
Matt24138
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would think it was electrical grounding issue. You could check your fuel preassure and have someone bounce on the bumper and see of it dips. That should eliminate the fuel being the culprit.
()_) ()_)---)_)
Matt24138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
rickbrins
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mythought on the grounding issue is why would it go from cranking but not being able to start to starting with out further being nudged or bumped.
Unread 08-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
rickbrins
1995 YJ Wrangler 

BTW, thanks for your advice! Been racking my brain with this all night. (Flying coast to coast)
Unread 08-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you are hearing the fuel pump then I'm betting under hood. The coil wiring, crank sensor, or O2 sensor.
Unread 08-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
rickbrins
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Would the 95 computer system give a code for the crank or o2 sensor, haven't put it on a reader yet?
Unread 08-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You dont need a reader to check codes, just cycle the key:
http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index....k_Engine_Codes
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...eaning-677141/

The answer to your question is a definitive....maybe. The diagnostics were in the infant stage and are OBDI. They have ranges they look for and if something fails out of the range it will throw a fault code. The problem is that sometime things fail in range and dont set a code. The newer OBDII starts looking at rates of change to detect just that kind of issue. So, if you have any codes other than the usually 12,33, and 55 you have an issue. If you dont have a code and its running bad....you have an issue. The bottom line is, you have an issue. LOL
Unread 08-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #12
rickbrins
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As always you are all. Very helpful, please keep the great advice coming, but the bottom line is it is hard to test or trouble shoot from 2000 miles away, I'm sure one of you have the answer and I will fix it tomorrow (optomist)!
Unread 08-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
Larry91yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem with my 91 yj i replaced the crank position sensor and never did it again. I got it from Autozone i hear it's a common problem. Hope this helps.
Larry91yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #14
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry91yj View Post
I had the same problem with my 91 yj i replaced the crank position sensor and never did it again. I got it from Autozone i hear it's a common problem. Hope this helps.
I also have a '91 YJ, so I'll keep this in mind in the event I ever experience the same issue.
hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #15
Lre78hd
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Also if you have a loose connection and can't locate it try looking for it at night with no light and do the shake, wiggle, bounce test since it will probably arc and seeing that in the dark would be real easy
Lre78hd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.