Engine Problems with Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Problems with Noise

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
arrow8807

Engine Problems with Noise

My jeep started to make a thumping noise when it ran.....sounded like a knocking noise comeing from the front on the top near the valves....
i took off the valve cover and found that the number two cylinders intake rocker arm wasn't moving....no pressure is being apllied to the push rod....what could this be...is this the source of the knocking
i was thinking i have to pull out the camshaft and look at it....should i pull of the head to?
My uncle (a machanic) told me that a lifter arm of the camshaft might have collapsed but i can't find any referece to that in the service manual

any advice would be nice...
can you remove the camshaft through the timing chain

please list any thing else this noise could have been because it was hard to localize
also there was no metal shavings in the oil

thanks

arrow8807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
arrow8807

i have a 1987 wrangler with a 4.2 6 cylinder 258 CID engine
stock carb
everything else is factory ....no major modifications
anything else you need just ask
arrow8807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
nerf965
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My 88 the lifter end grinded down and wore a grove in the lifter. I would say take the head off check over every thing.
nerf965 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.