Engine problems everything looks right but won't run - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine problems everything looks right but won't run

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
farmboy1976
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Engine problems everything looks right but won't run

Okay everyone would love some help on this one, my jeep was running no problem a few days ago now it turns over fine, it is getting fuel to the carb, the spark plugs have spark, it appears to have compression.

Any body have any ideas, even when I spray carb and choke cleaner directly into the carb it won't run. But it will crank up like there is no tomorrow.

Please help, or let me know what a good EFI engine is that I could direct swap with .

Thanks all for any help.

Replaces items since purchase: Tires, Top, Radiator, Starter, Slave Cylinder(twice), Clutch Master Cylinder, Lots of hoses, Ring Gear, Clutch, Rebuilt Starter, Water Temp Gauge, MC2150 carb, nutter bypass, Electric choke, TFI Distributor, replaced power steering box, Smittybilt front seats
farmboy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Hmmm, you have spark but is it a "good" spark... Have you checked voltage at the coil, batt????

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If it is a stick try dragging behind a truck with it in second gear. That's what I had to do to get the 91 that I bought to kick off. It sat for 6 years and would not start even with fuel and spark, until I dragged it behind a truck, it popped right off that way and ran perfect after that. Maybe give it a try.
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure I understand.. even if you have spark and fuel the car may not run... maybe it is not firing on all cylinders, maybe fuel pressure is dropped and your pump is bad, it starts but has no power to run... maybe your distributor got loose and the timing is off

Maybe if you give a little more info on the problem we can help better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy1976
Any body have any ideas, even when I spray carb and choke cleaner directly into the carb it won't run. But it will crank up like there is no tomorrow.
I have an idea, but would you please explain this statement with a little more detail?
I get the starter is turning the motor over, but what does it sound like?
Does it sound like it's trying to start but just can't quite make it?
Or is it just turning over like it always has?

It may just be flooded.
Try starting it with your foot pushing the gas pedal to the floor.

How old is your coil?
Has the engine ever just shut off on you for no reason?

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like the timing may have jumped.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
cfJeep19
1981 CJ7 

Like the others, I'd look at the timing. You need to rule out the obvious first.
Unread 06-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
farmboy1976
1987 YJ Wrangler 

OKay here is more info

Tried putting gas right in the carb and it just turns over like it normally does before it starts, trying spraying carb and choke cleaner directly into carb an it still would just turn over but never start. Pulled the spark plugs and they smell like gas but appear to be dry as if they are firing.

The timing may be something to check, I think I will try the pull start as well and see what happens.

Thanks for suggestions, let me know if you need more info from me on this one.
Replaces items since purchase: Tires, Top, Radiator, Starter, Slave Cylinder(twice), Clutch Master Cylinder, Lots of hoses, Ring Gear, Clutch, Rebuilt Starter, Water Temp Gauge, MC2150 carb, nutter bypass, Electric choke, TFI Distributor, replaced power steering box, Smittybilt front seats
Unread 06-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

check your spark plug wires and make sure they are in the correct order. If you had them mixed up you would have spark but at the incorrect time and it would never start. If not I would suspect the timing. I would throw a timing light on it before you pull the distributor.
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

pull the dist cap and have someone crank the motor to make sure the rotor is spinning I had the dist gear strip out on me and got the same results
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #11
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

First off if the spark has no high voltage then your coil is NG. Assuming you have a good coil;Pull the dzzy cap. Have friend turn key to start. If the rotor don't move either dizzy gear is stripped or timing chain is busted. If it does move you need to check to see if this motor has timing issues.
Pull #1 plug and stick finger in the hole. Have your buddy, using large socket and long bar, slowly bring motor up to TDC on the compression stroke. You will feel a whoosh of air and pressure on your finger in the #1 plug hole as it is coming up onto TDC. Now slowly bring the piston up to TDC. Your timing marks and the position of the rotor pointing to where the #1 spark plug wire is in the dizzy cap should indicate that this is happening. If it isn't then you probably have jumped time.
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #12
farmboy1976
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well after a couple days with no rain FINALLY it started right up, then ran like a champ. It rained again and once again it was cranky as hell starting but I did finally get it started. So even though we had spark on the day it wouldn't start maybe not enough.

Thanks for all the post everyone until I find out what the problem is I am still keeping them all in mind.
Unread 06-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy1976 View Post
Well after a couple days with no rain FINALLY it started right up, then ran like a champ. It rained again and once again it was cranky as hell starting but I did finally get it started. So even though we had spark on the day it wouldn't start maybe not enough.

Thanks for all the post everyone until I find out what the problem is I am still keeping them all in mind.
Run your engine for several minutes to verify that it is OK then shut it off. Get an empty spray bottle. Fill it with water. Spray the distributer cap with some water. Don't go too nuts with the water. Now try to get it to start. If it won't, you have isolated your problem. The cap is probably cracked or the plug wires are porous. Get a hair dryer and heat up the distributer cap to dry it out. Try to fire it up again. If it does fire up, I would slap on a new distributer cap.
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #14
the_barbarian
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep View Post
If it is a stick try dragging behind a truck with it in second gear. That's what I had to do to get the 91 that I bought to kick off. It sat for 6 years and would not start even with fuel and spark, until I dragged it behind a truck, it popped right off that way and ran perfect after that. Maybe give it a try.
PLEASE, if you do this, have someone in the truck to stop it. or else you will have a runaway truck..
Proud owner of 5 jeeps, and certified JEEP Junkie. newest acquisition and current project (read money-pit); 1987 Wrangler Laredo, hard top, leather seats, custom Woodland Camo, 4.2 I6, 5 SP stick, 4X4 (of course).
the_barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #15
the_barbarian
1987 YJ Wrangler 

OK, i was going to suggest you check your Cat, but it sounds to me like you have moisture issues instead. definitely look into your coil, dist cap, and spark cables. Cept the coil, nothing else there is very pricey, so it cant hurt to swap em anyway..
Proud owner of 5 jeeps, and certified JEEP Junkie. newest acquisition and current project (read money-pit); 1987 Wrangler Laredo, hard top, leather seats, custom Woodland Camo, 4.2 I6, 5 SP stick, 4X4 (of course).
the_barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.