Engine noise after e-fan install... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine noise after e-fan install...

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Rhino70
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Engine noise after e-fan install...

Hey folks, got a problem after installing my e-fan. I am hearing a weird noise coming from the crankcase where the timing chain is. It vibrates the jeep a little but the noise is scary. Its like a low growl with a wobble. I am stumped on this one, anyone know what it could be?

Rhino70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
88YJtoCJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

might be your harmonic balancer?

I also had a "sloppy" timing chain that rubbed the timing cover grinding some of the cover down... that can make a grumble.

Either way, if it sounds like grumbling or grinding, its usually not good!
88YJtoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Rhino70
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was hoping it wasn't the harmonic balancer...maybe taking the fan cluth off?? I don't want to have to put it back on.
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Remove your belt and try turning all of the accessories to see if any may have a bad bearing. Other than that, I would suspect the timing chain/set.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Rhino70
1995 YJ Wrangler 

New alternator, tensioner, and just checked all other pulleys. Would it make sense that taking the load of the fan off would through it out of whack???
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I can't see how it would. The noise may have been there before, the fan may have been masking the noise. I would still double check all of the accessories, especially the water pump. I've had to tie off the fan in the past just so I could track noises down.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

this may be a dumb question but did you have to use different bolts to connect the pulley back to the water pump after the fan was removed? If not could the orginal bolts be too long and it's letting the pulley move some? I don't know if that's a possibility, I'm just thinking out loud.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
this may be a dumb question but did you have to use different bolts to connect the pulley back to the water pump after the fan was removed? If not could the orginal bolts be too long and it's letting the pulley move some? I don't know if that's a possibility, I'm just thinking out loud.
X2. You have to use shorter bolts. 1) If the bolts weren't threaded the full length they won't thread in enough to hold the pully securely. 2) If the bolts are too long they can hit the water pump housing.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flajeeper1 View Post
X2. You have to use shorter bolts. 1) If the bolts weren't threaded the full length they won't thread in enough to hold the pully securely. 2) If the bolts are too long they can hit the water pump housing.
x3 on this. I bolted mine up and thankfully gave the waterpump a spin by hand and the bolts were hitting pretty bad.

If you need a balancer try here, damperdoctor.com. They had by far the best price, at least they did a year ago.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
Rhino70
1995 YJ Wrangler 

guys, i really appreciate your answers BUT this one is all on me. I put the belt back on the other day in a hurry and tightened it before it was in the correct position on the ps bracket. I just tightened it better and no sound! I feel like a big dummy but oh well, sometimes I get ahead of myself, just glad it isn't the chain or waterpump!!
Unread 03-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino70 View Post
guys, i really appreciate your answers BUT this one is all on me. I put the belt back on the other day in a hurry and tightened it before it was in the correct position on the ps bracket. I just tightened it better and no sound! I feel like a big dummy but oh well, sometimes I get ahead of myself, just glad it isn't the chain or waterpump!!
so are we

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
Rhino70
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Update on old post.
The noise came back this time with a squeak. Turns out it is the water pump, not to hard of a fix. The reason it was vibrating is I had recently removed the fan clutch to install a electric fan. The old water pump had been running for 15 years with the weight of the fan clutch on it then when it was removed the bearings started spinning different thus creating a racket. That created the problems. Now I have a new radiator and water pump installed and she is running like new! Thanks for all your help!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.