Engine Mount frame patch suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Mount frame patch suggestions?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 10-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Engine Mount frame patch suggestions?

ok starting a new thread 'cause I need help on this - I think I have an idea, but please school me on how to do this right the first time!

Not sure what to call it; not the Engine Mount it's self, but the arm or tower or pylon thingy that goes under it... anyways, the guy who had this frame before me had a V8 in there, and his engine arms were home made C-channel; and he junked the jeep because of engine vibes... well, I found why he had engine vibes...

so I'm going to need to cut that section out and replace it. question is how...

This is what I'm thinking of doing: using 4x2x3/16 box tube from here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-2-x-3-16...item4aca3b4556

I'll cut it down the middle making it a C-channel, with tails on the sides like this:

but would that be strong enough?

I was thinking about some sort of thru-the tube support, but I'm not sure how. Also this way doesn't give me anyway to plug weld it or add any extra beef... any ideas? maybe an internal fish plate? I can't really add too much to the outside because the engine arm/tower needs to mount to it...

thanks for you help guys,
Haskie

#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

bump... ???
#theneverendingaxe
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
johnny27030
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would put some support behind it, I might just get some 3/16? plate and slide it in there(on all sides). Plug weld it and maybe leave a 1/8 inch gap between the new piece and the frame rail that way you can weld to the inner plates, frame and replacement part all at once.
johnny27030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny27030 View Post
I would put some support behind it, I might just get some 3/16? plate and slide it in there(on all sides). Plug weld it and maybe leave a 1/8 inch gap between the new piece and the frame rail that way you can weld to the inner plates, frame and replacement part all at once.
that's a good idea, thanks! I was thinking some kind of internal plate but I couldn't figure out what would be best - I think that's the best route, I'll use the left over steel from the piece I ordered to kind of 'sleeve' the box tube from inside, over lapping all the welds on the C-channel piece with plug welds on either sides of each weld

just gotta wait for shipping now, ordered it on Friday.
#theneverendingaxe
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

finally got some damn time to work on this!

just flipped the frame over, and I'll do the upside down welds later this week hopefully. Feels much stronger than it was... especially when it had all the holes in it!
#theneverendingaxe

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.