engine makes ticking noise .. help!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > engine makes ticking noise .. help!!!!!

Currie RockJock Products!!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
bdmsurf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

engine makes ticking noise .. help!!!!!

I have a 95 yj 4cyl and its made a ticking noise but now it seems really loud when im accelerating. i can hear it on the highway. but when stoped at a light or just running you cant hear it. any idea what this is and how to fix it please let me know !!!!

bdmsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Cracked exhaust manifold or bad gasket? Is the CEL on? Has your mileage changed?
Unread 04-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
stevoYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

im having the same problem on mine but my yj is a 4.0 and mine only seems to do it on occasion...but when it does do it i only hear it for the first couple of minutes i drive and then it goes away....anyone have any ideas about that one? its startn to worry me
stevoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Could be a crack in the exhaust manifold. When cold the crack can open and cuase the ticking, onc e it heats up and expands it closes enough so you don't hear it. It could also be a lifter. I had a lifter tick in the 4.2 pretty bad. it took 5 mins to clear up. I ran some ATF in the oil just before an oil change to flush out any gunk in the lifters and did the oil change. I changed the oil again a few weeks later and the lifter tick was gone. That was 2yrs ago.Never came back...
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
bluebastard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

im not sure about all the specifics in all honesty... but i have the same thing happen to my 97 tj with a 4.0... i let my dad(a mechanic of 20 years) look at it, and he said that its nothing to worry about.. the tick wasnt actually in the engine. there is this sensor on the right side of the engine that is kinda circular and you could hear it coming from that, and if you put your hand on it you could feel it pulsing every time there was a tick.. this could be it. anyways.. he said that there is absolutely nothing to worry about, it just gets noisy sometimes.
bluebastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A poorly tuned engine, or a component that needs replacement can make other things not work right and possibly lead to an unusual noise. Clogged fuel injector, bad fuel, all can attribute to strange noises. So, basically it is probably a good idea to first establish that your spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap, air filter, throttle body, fuel injectors, etc are all in good working order. poor plug wires can have a bad affect, some seem the think they last forever, they don't. Nor do coils, they last a long time, but do build up resistance eventually. Run some high quality fuel injector cleaner in you gas, and try to use better quality fuel such a mobil or chevron gas, gas such as am/pm gas is not a good thing imo. Ok, well, all of this may or may not pertain to the problem, but just make sure everything is in check here b4 you look elsewhere.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
bdmsurf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

what is ATF ???
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:20 AM   #8
Mark455SD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmsurf View Post
what is ATF ???
Automatic transmission fluid
Mark455SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

timing chain slapping around made mine sound like that.
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
ryanmanuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have the whole "lifter-like tick" when I accelerate for the first 30 seconds of driving in my 4 banger after it has set for a while
ryanmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #11
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

In my experience on my 4 cyl engine, I could not hear the timing chain slapping around on acceleration. It was only at low idle, then I could hear it.
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #12
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I get the same thing as ryan does, been like that for several years.
Unread 04-11-2010, 06:27 AM   #13
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebastard View Post
im not sure about all the specifics in all honesty... but i have the same thing happen to my 97 tj with a 4.0... i let my dad(a mechanic of 20 years) look at it, and he said that its nothing to worry about.. the tick wasnt actually in the engine. there is this sensor on the right side of the engine that is kinda circular and you could hear it coming from that, and if you put your hand on it you could feel it pulsing every time there was a tick.. this could be it. anyways.. he said that there is absolutely nothing to worry about, it just gets noisy sometimes.
Your TJ has a bunch of emissions stuff for the ODBII. That heartbeat you hear is a valve in the evap system. YJ's don't have them.
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
bdmsurf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

so should i add a little moer oil to make the noise go down , i dont think its a cracked manifold like u said lifter might be that.
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:01 AM   #15
94yjsahara
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I also get this ticking noise, increases in tempo when I hit the gas, slows when I let off. Difference is from yours is that the ticking only happens after the car is fully warmed up! wtf!
94yjsahara is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.