Engine Loses Power on the Highway, Help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Loses Power on the Highway, Help?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
dan-E
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Engine Loses Power on the Highway, Help?

Hey guys,

I have a '95 with the 2.5L engine that has around 101,000 miles. I was on the freeway doing about 65 when all of a sudden the engine started misfiring/lugging/surging? Not sure what to call it, exactly. Basically, it feels like the engine sputters like it is low on gas and running on fumes, so it slows down briefly before it catches again, but never completely stalls. (I had half a tank left.) I limped home by downshifting and keeping the rpms up but once I got off the freeway and drove the streets, it ran fine.

I drove it to the shop the next day (no highway) but again, the engine ran fine and I couldn't get it check out since the were close. About a week later, after no issues I ran into the same problem on almost the same stretch of freeway, except this time my tank was nearly full.

It's weird how it's fine around town but this occurred twice at 60-65. My first thought was maybe the fuel filter but I just bought this I'm no mechanic so any advice would be appriciated. Thanks in advance.

dan-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
chazharris97tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Any dash lights come on? Check the throttle position sensor. I had the same problem happen to me but I had a light come on so I had it checked. Still haven't replaced it tho. Happens like twice a month for me.
chazharris97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Dan-E there are a few possibilities the first place to start is by checking your fault codes. You can do it by cycling the key 3 times. Post back what you find. It could be crank shaft position sensor or a fuel issue.

http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index....k_Engine_Codes
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
dan-E
1995 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Que89YJ;12060605]Hey Dan-E there are a few possibilities the first place to start is by checking your fault codes. You can do it by cycling the key 3 times. Post back what you find. It could be crank shaft position sensor or a fuel issue. /QUOTE]

I took your suggestion and I got the codes 12, 21, and 55. The only thing that would concern me is 21, which means either the oxygen is off the or the O2 sensor is broken, but I'm not sure how that would make the engine feel like it's suffering from fuel starvation.
Unread 08-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

A bad O2 sensor reading could easily do that - its the main component that determines fuel delivery on these.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

it could mean a few different things. Hey bad 02 sensor, cracked exhaust manifold, or a loss of fuel pressure. I would start by renting a fuel gauge. Hook it up to the fuel rail and see if your fuel pressure stays at a constant 31 to 39 p s i
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
it could mean a few different things. Hey bad 02 sensor, cracked exhaust manifold, or a loss of fuel pressure. I would start by renting a fuel gauge. Hook it up to the fuel rail and see if your fuel pressure stays at a constant 31 to 39 p s i
^^^ X2 what Que says. There are a few things that can cause a bad O2 sensor reading even if the sensor is OK. Fuel pressure is important so like he says get a gauge and check it first.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
dan-E
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help!
Unread 08-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
ronniez
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i am having a similar problem and replaced the plugs/wires/cap/rotor/02/map next on the list is the crank sensor and testing the fuel pressure and fuel filter. my crank sensor was replaced 5 years ago when i bought the jeep but its only 20 bucks so whatever will get a new one..... sure it cant hurt. AS far as the fuel pressure i need to head over to autozone and pick one up. Do i need to get an adapter for it to fit my size schrader valve?
ronniez is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.