Engine Light codes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Light codes?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Zyurazek
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Engine Light codes?

Hello, I am new to this forums. I signed up after reading many topics on here for help with my Wrangler. I am new to the world of Jeeps. I purchased my 95 Wrangler SE 4.0L standard shift a few weeks ago. I had my engine light come on. After getting the codes, I was left a little stumped. The codes came in this order: 12 (battery disconnect), 51 (rich mixture I believe), 21,21 (that is no error, 21 registered twice. I am stumped as to why is flashed twice.), then a 55 which is the end of the codes. Is the 51 and 21 due to an O2 sensor? Does anyone have any idea why 21 would flash twice? I would appreciate any thought! I've searched the topic and there was only 1 other post a couple years ago, but there was no solution.

Thank you!

Zyurazek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like an O2 sensor based on what you've said. You may always want to check the catalytic converter also. If they start to clog they will heat up the sensor and burn it out.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Zyurazek
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The exhaust from the header to the muffler has all been replaced just 3 weeks ago.
Unread 12-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

check for a leak near the head or header.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to JeepForum, you've just found one of the best jeep sites anywhere!

The other guys are right, it sounds like an O2 sensor problem or possible a header leak. They are known to get loose near the back of the engine, I usually snug up the manifold bolts a couple times a year just to be sure. It only takes a few minutes with a 9/16 wrench.

After you get done you can reset the computer by disconnnecting the battery for a minute. The drive it for a bit and see if the error comes back. If it does then I would consider the O2 sensor.

hope that helps!
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

code 21 21 is code 33 AC issues if you have no AC that is the issue

Any leak in the intake system from a loose throttle body to a crack in the exhaust to a loose O2 sensor will cause a false lean code and make the engine run quite rich.

The O2 sensor detected oxygen in the exhaust stream and sets the DTC.

The O2 sensor is usually the least guilty for the O2 sensor code. A leak allowing atmospheric air into the system is the usual culprit.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Zyurazek
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help! I've checked some things over and I've come up with having a bad sensor. I'll be replacing that sometime tomorrow to see if that's the definite fix!

For the 21-21 code being for the AC, I do have AC in my Jeep, and it seems just fine. I cracked it up today since the weather decided to go anti-winter and climb up to 70 plus degrees. What could it be if physically it feels fine?
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyurazek View Post
Thanks for all the help! I've checked some things over and I've come up with having a bad sensor. I'll be replacing that sometime tomorrow to see if that's the definite fix!

For the 21-21 code being for the AC, I do have AC in my Jeep, and it seems just fine. I cracked it up today since the weather decided to go anti-winter and climb up to 70 plus degrees. What could it be if physically it feels fine?
I WAS WRONG!

DTC 21 = O2 sensor stays at center or shorted to voltage. Neither rich or lean condition detected from the oxygen sensor input.

If the wiring is good then the sensor is probably junk

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
Zyurazek
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman
I WAS WRONG! DTC 21 = O2 sensor stays at center or shorted to voltage. Neither rich or lean condition detected from the oxygen sensor input. If the wiring is good then the sensor is probably junk
Makes more sense! Thank you!

Tags
check engine light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.