Engine leaking ussue?? (Pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine leaking ussue?? (Pics)

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 04-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Engine leaking ussue?? (Pics)

Hey guys, so about 2 months after we bought out 1989 YJ Wrangler, we started noticing a small leak under the jeep, but didnt know where from. So now since the dripping is becoming more of an issue since we are trying to sell our house and i dont want the jeep leaking on the driveway anymore, i am forced to park it on the street..
It seems to be leaking from the left side of the engine block going down to the oil pan when looking towards the windshield, about underneath where the headers would be if they were on the same side, but as you see it, it looks like it is leaking from a gasket underneath and a little towards the back from the oil filter.

So pretty much i need your guys' opinions on what is causing the leak/where it is coming from, and what i need to replace/get replaced, or do/get done to fix it.
I have some pictures to help you guys out with solving the issue. Some of them are from underneath, and some are from above, but i am going to edit them and specify where i believe it is leaking from.

And here they are:

So all of those pics should be enough, but if you need more pics or whatever just let me know, and ill be happy to get them for you!!
Thanks, I'd appreciate any and all input and opinions about this!

jeep_maniack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
johnn-yj-eep89
2006 KJ Liberty 

from the pics im thinkin its the oilpan gasket, i know its not the front seal and if it was leakin head youd know it lol if you find out its the oilpan gasket you should replace the rear main while your at it cuz our jeeps have a two piece and you wouldnt hav to drop the motor/tranny to do it.
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, cool.. i was figuring it had something to do with the oil pan because it looks to be where the oil pan connects to the block, but wasnt sure.. just needed another person's opinion on it.. anybody else object to the oilpan gasket idea?? Anybody know what its going to take to fix it? Cost? (if i do it at a shop, which i probably will)
Oh and thanks for the rear main idea... are you talking about another gasket to replace?

Also, if i rebuilt the engine, would it fix this problem? Ive been considering rebuilding the straight six 4.0L but im not sure if it quite needs it yet...

Thanks guys!
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
HANKHIL
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check and see if there is an oring style gasket between the filter housing and the block. Had the same leak on my 94 4.0 changed the oring gasket and no more leak. Hope this helps
HANKHIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alright.. a while back i did consider this, but it looked more to be coming from the oil pan gasket so i turned away from that idea, but i will look into that idea again.. if there is not one, or it needs to be replaced then i will do that and change the oil while i am at it (it needs it anyways) and then i will degrease the motor and we will see if it continues to leak from the filter or the gasket part of the engine.. one thing that i still see is that it doesnt look like there is any oil on the outside of the oil filter so could it be leaking from there if there is no oil on the outside of the oil filter?
Thanks guys!
And anybody know what this might cost me to get fixed?
Thanks!
()_)=o()_)=o=)_)__-_-__-__-_-___
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
4LarXedo4
1990 YJ Wrangler 

is there only oil on the pan, or does the block look wet above the problem area on the pan? if so there is a threaded piece that goes into the block for your oil pressure sender.
4LarXedo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

my first suggestion would be to spray engine cleaner all over the oily area and power wash it, then watch for leaks, though I am sure you need a new oil pan gasket, you may have more leaks, so the power washing will let you find any others.

This is no big deal, it's a simple fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

alright awesome! yeah i was planning on degreasing the engine this weekend, i will degrease it tomorrow night and that was my origional reasoning for the degreasing was to see where the leak was from.. ill degrease it and we will go from there..
Thanks guys!
Unread 04-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So i degreased the oil pan and a little bit above it as well as best as i could and so now that it is dry the stuff worked pretty well, but the motor just looks a bit rusty underneath all the oil haha... so i guess we will see where we see the oil coming from first...
Also, i found a couple more spots on the engine that might be causing the leaking.. ill put another pic up:

^--- It looks like in this picture the two circles on top have a little fitting or something that a tube hooks to that looks like it brings oil up into the lifters, and those might be leaking, as well as from the engine oil filler hole ont the top of the head.. they look to have a bit of oil residue around them, as well as some oil that runs towards the back of the engine and down it, and also possibly down the sides. that is what those two circles are showing. the long oval in the middle of the engine is the upper gasket above the oil pan gasket. that one looks like it could be leaking too. the big white "X" is showing where i previously was saying it might be coming from, so you dont get confused with the two spots etc..
Funny thing is that it looks to only be leaking on the left side of the engine/block, but not so much on the right side. there is a little bit on the right side below the oil pan gasket but it might just be slowly traveling around...

Oh and my transfer case looks super shiny now instead of disgusting and muddy/gunky looking! haha

So what do you guys think so far? still the oil pan gasket? i looked at the oil filter and i dont believe it is leaking from the filter.. could those things on the top of the engine behind the oil filler plug be leaking that much oil down to the bottom of the engine? it looks greasy/oily pretty much from the top down on the left side.. or could it be that i have multiple leaks?
Thanks for the input guys!
Unread 04-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I dont believe that the two upper areas would get that much oil where your getting it. Those are vents and shouldnt have much oil in them at all (other then mist). I would pull the oil pan and change that. If it still leaks then pull the oil filter adapter off and change the O-RING

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
I dont believe that the two upper areas would get that much oil where your getting it. Those are vents and shouldnt have much oil in them at all (other then mist). I would pull the oil pan and change that. If it still leaks then pull the oil filter adapter off and change the O-RING
X2 on this! I am sure you need a new oil pan gasket, give it five days and you will see it leaking again, maybe even less.

The hoses on top are part of the PCV system, it recirculates crankcase vapors to prevent the pressure to build up and blow seals, also helps with emissions and keeps the crank sludge free. You should replace the PCV valve, that is the one at the front, and make sure the hose in the back is routed to the air cleaner. The air cleaner has a little filter which I replaced with a rag, because I could never find that filter, however the rag works just fine...

The oil cap at the top of the valve cover is about $1 to replace, and takes care of that leak too...

Do not get too crazy my friend about removing leaks, Jeeps will ALWAYS have a leak somewhere, as long as it is a small thing, don't worry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #12
bernm8r
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I solved a pretty good leak just by replacing the oil fill plug on top. But mine is leaking from everywhere now both diffs, transfer case rear yolk, valve cover and probably rear main seal oh and my steering gearbox just started leaking to! Seems if it is holing oil it is now leaking! clutch MC is leaking to at least the AX-1 is not!
bernm8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #13
FOURWALLYS
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep maniac, your heep looks just like mine 6 months ago. I had to start from the top down, and basically everything was leaking.
First, look all around your valve cover gasket (especially the rear corners), if it is leaking it is going to drip down on everything, and spread everywhere.
Next, take off your air filter cover, is the air filter soaked with oil, is the base pooling oil? If so, you have excessive blow-by. If so rings are worn, but don't panic. Search for "oil scrubber", shows you how to make a solution that the author told me has worked perfect. I'm doing mine next month. That oil mess will be coming from the left circle on your picture (the rear of the valve cover).
If it is the oil pan gasket, it's an easy swap, just messy. Get the one piece gasket, and an extra set of hands if you can.
Unread 04-10-2010, 01:10 AM   #14
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem w/ my 1990. As stated above change out the pcv valve, if it's clogged it can cause too much pressure to build and push oil out of every spot it can. If your motor has been neglected, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change out every gasket you can find and if you do it yourself you could probably do it for under a hundred bucks. Gaskets I can think of off the top of my head are the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, rear main seal, distributor gasket, fuel pump gasket, (the dizzy and the fuel pump are both on the side your noticing the oil on the most) and grommets on top of the valve cover as well as the oil filler cap. The first two are going to be the most expensive (don't remember for sure but maybe $30 or $40 each if you get the one piece permadry) all the others should come in well under $10 a piece and all are fairly easy to replace yourself with basic tools. Good luck and fernando hit it on the head, sometimes you just have to settle for controlling the bleeding instead of stopping it.

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 01:58 AM   #15
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I understand what you mean.. I'll probably get a schematics manual at least for the engine and if it's not too complicated then I will keep controlling the leak and fix it this summer.. I'm also thinking of just starting over and getting like a re manned engine or something like that or just rebuilding this one because I do believe that this engine and jeep ( besides the body ) have been pretty neglected and I have some fairly high miles in this thing ( like 150,000 almost ) and it seems to run alright with a few exceptions.. I can get a re manned engine practically brand new right now for about 1600 shipped or less, can't remember, minus like the hoses and other attatchments.. So that's not bad and my grandpa is good with this stuff so I could drive it down to him and pay him to help me rebuild it for a week or something. I think it would be way fun and keep the spare parts for just in case and stuff.....
So what do you guys think? I'll try to get going on your guys' suggestions as well...
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.