Engine knocking/clanking when accelerating hard, and excessive blowby in air filter? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine knocking/clanking when accelerating hard, and excessive blowby in air filter?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
sethisimmons
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Engine knocking/clanking when accelerating hard, and excessive blowby in air filter?

Just got my 1988 YJ w/ 4.2l manual back in July of last year, and am working on starting to get it trail ready. Ever since I've gotten it I've had two issues though.

First: When accelerating hard/going up hills, there is a clanking noise and I don't seem to have much power. It doesn't sound like any piston knocking noise I've heard before, more like a loose bolt vibrating or something. I've checked all the bolts I can think of, and everything looks nice and tight, but the noise persists. It's quite noticeable when I'm on the highway, and is very annoying. I mainly just wanna see if it's something that could be evidence of a deeper issue with the engine/transmission.

Second: Ever since I got the Jeep I've been slowly noticing a blowby issue where oil is getting blown back into the air filter. It got so bad once that I practically lost all my oil into the air filter pan and ruined the filter. Ever since then I still seem to have some blowby coming back into that pan, nothing as bad, but still definitely there. Any ideas on what I can do to fix that?

Thanks for reading and in advance for any help! I've been on the forum for a while but it's my first post. Excited to get involved in the Jeep community!

sethisimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Bad pcv on the blowby. Pull your valve cover. Chances are the inside is mucked up too.Other possibility is compression issue with bad rings. Run the compression test.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
sethisimmons
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Would that be the front PCV, or the rear breather? I replaced the front PCV to be sure about a month ago, and it seems to have helped a little bit, but I am definitely still getting more than I should. I'll do a compression test when I get off work, and probably pick up a new breather hose as well to ensure its not cracked/leaking. Thanks! I'll update after I do the test. Also gonna pick up a valve cover gasket to replace that, just to be sure. Thanks again for the help!
sethisimmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.