JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Engine Knock: HELP NEEDED !! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/engine-knock-help-needed-1568187/)

Odie4az 08-28-2013 09:56 AM

Engine Knock: HELP NEEDED !!

1990 YJ 2.5L EFI
Last winter after a -7* night my jeep starting knocking when the day prior it ran great...
At the time I had 5-30 oil....
Here is a list of things I tried to no avail:
1. Seafoam
2. Waited to warmer weather changed out oil to rotella 15- 40 with Mystery Oil
3. Octane Booster
4. Relplaced all lifters
5. Changed O2 Sensor
Now I've been told to drop the pan and see if there is anything visable from underneath.
Here is a link to a youtube video showing the knock:
Almost ready to give up and drive till dead.... Any help would be appreceiated.
Thanks,
Odie

Mattias25 08-28-2013 10:20 AM

That's not your jeep right?

Sent from my toilet using JeepForum

Mattias25 08-28-2013 10:27 AM

Cause that's sounds like a rod knock or a really bad lifter knock

Sent from my toilet using JeepForum

VenomousMaximus 08-28-2013 10:32 AM

Assuming you have good oil pressure & (no offense) lifters were installed correctly.... I would say Wrist Pins?

smallblock 08-28-2013 10:42 AM

Engine knock

Hey my friend I have a 97 Cherokee Country that had the same exact knock. I also thought it was in the engine. A guy at NAPA here in Huntsville,Tx. told me it was the bearing in the distributor was going out. Well I purchased a complete distributor on the spot and changed it in the parking lot. After I finished I started her up and no more knock! I thought for sure it was in the engine though but it wasn't.:thumbsup: PS: Thats why nothing you have done has helped because it's in a totally different area. Good luck!

Odie4az 08-28-2013 10:45 AM

Yes, that's my jeep....
Oil pressure great, power good, no other indication except knock...
Distributor, idea worth trying as it does not take too much to change out... Will Try thanks..
Odie

2Mileshigh 08-28-2013 10:55 AM

I hate that sound :mad: i have a 93 with a I6 and had that same sound start out of the blue. I ended up doing a compression test and found one of them only at half. I tore the head off to find the top ring had broken and worked its way up to the top of the piston. The sound was from this lil broken ring bit hitting the top of the head. I hope this didn't happen to you.

smallblock 08-28-2013 11:00 AM

Thats what it sounds like to me, after I heard your video I knew instantly what it was. Like I said it sounds exactly like mine did before I changed it out. When you rev the engine it quiets down a little until it gets back to idle and then you can really hear it.

VenomousMaximus 08-28-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallblock (Post 15845679)
Hey my friend I have a 97 Cherokee Country that had the same exact knock. I also thought it was in the engine. A guy at NAPA here in Huntsville,Tx. told me it was the bearing in the distributor was going out. Well I purchased a complete distributor on the spot and changed it in the parking lot. After I finished I started her up and no more knock! I thought for sure it was in the engine though but it wasn't.:thumbsup: PS: Thats why nothing you have done has helped because it's in a totally different area. Good luck!

I never would have thought of that...... I have the same knock, not as loud but same sound, good oil pressure, no loss of power..... I also have tried every engine oil additive known to mankind with no change in sound... I will definitely give this a try.... Thanks :2thumbsup:

smallblock 08-28-2013 11:40 AM

Yes sir, good luck and have a good day!:thumbsup:

Odie4az 08-29-2013 05:10 PM

Ordered the distributor today, 3 -4 day delivery has to come from out of state.
Will post once installed. I would love it if this is all it takes.
Thanks,

smallblock 08-29-2013 05:53 PM

Knocking

Man I hope so too! I'll be very shocked if that don't do the trick. But is sure sounds exactly like mine did. Mine started as a click and after a few days it became louder & louder until it sounded like it was fixing to scatter. You should have seen me driving it up to NAPA. I drove it like I was 110 years old! But I sure was happy when I started it up and it was quiet compared to 30 minutes earlier. Anyway I sure hope it does the trick, good luck.:thumbsup:

pasinbuy 08-29-2013 06:05 PM

Sounds a bit like a exhaust leak at the manifold to me.

roadyrob 08-29-2013 06:10 PM

one way to check for a rod or wrist pin knock is, while running, remove plug wires one at a time, if the knock stops thats the cyl with the problem. first thing I would do is take a piece of hose and listen to different areas of the motor and try to pin point the location. especially check the timing chain cover, thats what it sounds like to me.

jay-h 08-29-2013 06:29 PM

A rod or wristpin knock will get momentarily louder as you crack the throttle from idle as it revs

The time now is 12:50 PM.