Engine ideas 1990 yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine ideas 1990 yj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #1
RSWoody

Engine ideas 1990 yj

I am currently running a 4.2 liter inline 6 in my 1990 yj. It has now power and I have already changed over to the motorcraft 2150 carb, and a HEI electronic distributor. SO.....what's next?? I really don't want to go to a V8 cause I know it will be a lot more work than I want to do right now. Is there a way to build my 4.2 to make it stronger?? Any and all information and ideas is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeepster

RSWoody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 09:33 PM   #2
Luuca
TYPICAL /F12 HOOLIGAN

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWoody View Post
I am currently running a 4.2 liter inline 6 in my 1990 yj. It has now power and I have already changed over to the motorcraft 2150 carb, and a HEI electronic distributor. SO.....what's next?? I really don't want to go to a V8 cause I know it will be a lot more work than I want to do right now. Is there a way to build my 4.2 to make it stronger?? Any and all information and ideas is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeepster
Welcome to the forum RSWoody!

How long have you had it?
Did the power recently go away or has it always been like this?
How many miles are on it?
Have you run a compression test on it?

/f12 MOAB 2015
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
mickcollinsb16b

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Put a 4.0 head on it with MPFI. lots of threads on how to do so and welcome to the #1 Jeep source.
Unread 02-27-2015, 10:24 PM   #4
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I know that people/magazines were saying the Mopar MPFI upgrade adds 60-100 hp to the engine.

However, the stock 4.2L is a great engine and shouldn't really be bogging down much. You really need to figure out whether your engine is running properly before going through the expense of fuel injection (~$2000). We're really going to need more info from you, like tire size, gearing, service history/mods.

Take Luuca's advice and do a compression test.

Then take my advice and install a vacuum gauge: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...ealth-2841418/

The combination of these two tests will tell us about your engine health.

Do you live at high altitude? or did you purchase your jeep from a high altitude location?

In addition to this, I recommend making sure your maintenance is up to date (hopefully you do all of these regularly!): new Champion copper core spark plugs (not platinum!!!), plug wires, distributor cap (sounds like you've done this), new fuel filter, new clean air filter, make sure your air passage to the air box is clean and clear, rebuilt carb (sounds like you already installed a new one), oil, oil filter, differential fluid, transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, brakes (make sure a caliper or shoe isn't dragging!)

With all that said, I love my 89 4.2L MPFI engine!
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 11:20 PM   #5
ShiJon
1982 CJ8 

Tire size and gear ratio? Alot of jeep owners find this is the best money spent if the combo is off.
ShiJon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 11:24 PM   #6
mickcollinsb16b

1989 YJ Wrangler 

MOPAR conversion for the 4.2 is a really good upgrade over pulse air electronic feedback stepped motor carb set up the 4.2 came with. But the head design ant intake manifold is no where as efficient as the 4.0. They typically run out of power at above 3k rpm with the fuel injection conversion. It's really expensive too. With the money spent you could do the full 7120 head with the MPI conversion.
Unread 02-27-2015, 11:33 PM   #7
RedJeepster1
Built not bought

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Everyone will have their own opinions on this, but if you don't wan't a V8 and want more power, stroking the engine is always an option. I spent a little under $2000 when I was all said and done to bore my engine 30 over and stroke it. I also ditched my old carb and went with MPFI in the process. I had multiple spare engines and a donor Jeep with the 4.0 harness so that kept the cost down. I did the entire swap in a weekend, including rewiring everything for MPFI and switching to an ax-15 and 23 spline transfer case. Jeep was only off the road for 2 days and the difference was unbelievable. Its like driving a whole new vehicle, and when I open the hood, no one can tell I even changed anything. This is certainly not the only way to go, but its definitely a good option. Just my 0.02

Build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/o...hread-2984409/
RedJeepster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 11:35 PM   #8
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickcollinsb16b View Post
MOPAR conversion for the 4.2 is a really good upgrade over pulse air electronic feedback stepped motor carb set up the 4.2 came with. But the head design ant intake manifold is no where as efficient as the 4.0. They typically run out of power at above 3k rpm with the fuel injection conversion. It's really expensive too. With the money spent you could do the full 7120 head with the MPI conversion.
You do get the 4.0L intake manifold included with the MPFI kit.

I have heard the new 4.0L head helps a lot as well though, like you are saying. I'm actually not sure whether mine has that.
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 01:30 AM   #9
mickcollinsb16b

1989 YJ Wrangler 

That post wasn't proof read. No other way to get the injectors on the motor without the log manifold.
Unread 02-28-2015, 03:09 AM   #10
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Although I have the 4.0 and love it, I would take a 4.2 any day. It's also a great six.
Assuming it is not worn, I would wake it up like I did on my (late) CJ7.

I put in a performance cam with all the fixins' (new lifters, pushrods, rockers, valve job ect) a header and performance Offenhauser intake and a Holley 390 4 barrel. It woke up and would pull pretty good to 4000+ rpm.
It also sounded great and got decent fuel mileage if I could keep my foot out of the secondaries.

It would just about keep up with a Fiero GT with two hot chicks (in the Fiero, not the Jeep unfortunately but I tried)
Unread 02-28-2015, 04:52 AM   #11
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

there are lots of good ideas already posted. as you already have the carb and ignition done I'd get a better cam and do some head work, either a 4.0 head or port yours and mill it to up compression. don't forget the exhaust, going to a 2 1/2" high flo cat and muffler will really help.
also, fill out your profile so we know more about your jeep, especially present gear ratio and tire size, if your running something like 33's and stock 3.07 gears then a gear change should be at the top of the list of mods.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #12
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepster1
...spent a little under $2000 when I was all said and done to bore my engine 30 over and stroke it....02
What pistons did you use?
Unread 02-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #13
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepster1 View Post
stroking the engine is always an option. I spent a little under $2000 when I was all said and done to bore my engine 30 over and stroke it.
You don`t make a stroker by simply boring a 4.2.

Fish, I am on my 4th stroker build this year. Gathering parts today for another. Bulltear for stock ish or Diamond for everything.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #14
Luuca
TYPICAL /F12 HOOLIGAN

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Makes no sense to look at the expense, time, and headaches of an engine or head swap if we have not verified the existing engine is dead.

IMO it may be something minor that restores adequate performance at a fraction of the cost. No offense to the OP, but I often feel that posts like these are less serious about an engine swap. I base this on having removed and installed over 20 engines in my lifetime an my knowledge that while not impossible for the average person, it takes a special type of person to be willing to do that much work at their home.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.

/f12 MOAB 2015
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #15
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
I base this on having removed and installed over 20 engines in my lifetime an my knowledge that while not impossible for the average person, it takes a special type of person to be willing to do that much work at their home.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.
Well said, and often overlooked till your in so deep there is no way out.

While I do plenty of stroker builds I do not remove or install engines, unless it`s my own junk. That`s been 8 years on this stroker.

To old, to impatient and not willing to extend that much effort.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.