Engine hesitation when I mash the gas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine hesitation when I mash the gas

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-11-2004, 03:34 PM   #1
farmboy1976
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Engine hesitation when I mash the gas

I am having a little issue with my 6cyl 1987, when I slowly give it gas it reacts just fine but if I get on in quick it spudders (hesitates) for a second and then takes off. I recently replaced the carb but had the same issue with the old one. It is a stock carter carb on it that has been pressure tested and idles well at 700 rpm's, so I don't believe it's a mixture problem.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks.

Replaces items since purchase: Tires, Top, Radiator, Starter, Slave Cylinder(twice), Clutch Master Cylinder, Lots of hoses, Ring Gear, Clutch, Rebuilt Starter, Water Temp Gauge, MC2150 carb, nutter bypass, Electric choke, TFI Distributor, replaced power steering box, Smittybilt front seats
farmboy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2004, 04:29 PM   #2
MattB

sounds to me like it's the accelerator pump..
could also be one of the check balls in the carb not in the proper position.

I just rebuilt a carb today from an '89 that was having the same problem (well, one of the handfull of problems was a stumble when you hit the gas). turned out to be the accelerator pump seal was messed up and one of the check balls was improperly seated.

also check the carb bowls for water. don't know if that will cause it, but this one had about 1/8" of water in the bottom.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 08:18 PM   #3
boulderz

Did you ever figure out what was doing this? I am having the Exact same problem.

Thanks,

Mike
boulderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 11:00 AM   #4
Yoink

Fuel System

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderz
Did you ever figure out what was doing this? I am having the Exact same problem.

Thanks,

Mike
I had a similar problem with a fuel pump/fuel filter. A replacement solved the problem and gave me way more go too. Of course I'm running FI'ed not Carbed sooo it might be be different depending on your setup.

AIM - XDemiG0DX42
Yoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 11:50 AM   #5
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My new Weber does the same thing to an extent. I was told it was normal.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 03:04 PM   #6
boulderz

I don't think it's normal. If the accelerator is slowly pressed, it is fine. But if you get on it it will sputter, sometimes backfire and then stall. Not good for wheeling. Last night I cleaned idle pickup tubes and it still does it after. No vacuum leaks.

Anyone replaced or adjusted the throttle position sensor or accelerator pump? I don't even know where the TPS is...
boulderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
But if you get on it it will sputter, sometimes backfire and then stall.
Oh wow, mines not nearly that bad. Mine just has a slight stumble when the second barrel kicks in. Nevermind then!

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.