Engine harness plug - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine harness plug

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 05-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
nis240rb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Engine harness plug

Hi everyone new on the forum so please for give the newbie ness. I have a 89 yj that im putting a 4.0 Ho from a 93 grand Cherokee with a 96 aw4 and np231. I swapped the dash harness and engine harness with one from a 92 yj 4.0. my question is there is a 10 pin plug on the engine harness near the under hood fuse box that i cant figure out what its for.

nis240rb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
nis240rb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1401065964
plug.jpg

Unread 05-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #3
nis240rb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have more pics if needed. Thanks in advance for any help.
Unread 05-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That plug might be for daytime running lights (DRL) module. Ignore it until it might be important!

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
nis240rb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Update I pulled the harness and traced some wires looks like the vss vehicle speed sensor wires run in this plug but not sure what else. Its like im missing a sub harness. Any one have any ideas.
Unread 05-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nis240rb View Post
Update I pulled the harness and traced some wires looks like the vss vehicle speed sensor wires run in this plug but not sure what else. Its like im missing a sub harness. Any one have any ideas.
Ok just checkd and that plug is definitely the DRL module plug.

And some of those wires are common with the VSS sensor on the automatic tranny, which in turn tie into the tranny control module which is usually mounted under the dash. And the auto tranny has a sub harness

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
Unread 05-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
nis240rb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks but everything I can find on the drl module says its located on the drivers side up near the head light this plug is way to close to the under hood fuse box for that. Does anyone know where the vss wires run after the leave the sensor?
Unread 05-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks but everything I can find on the drl module says its located on the drivers side up near the head light this plug is way to close to the under hood fuse box for that. Does anyone know where the vss wires run after the leave the sensor?
The DRL uses the signal from the VSS to put the headlamps on at 50% power.

On an XJ harness it looks like the DRL module is where your plug is located.....let me do some more digging...

Unread 05-27-2014, 07:24 AM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok That plug is not for your DRL. that plug should be located near the left front headlight near/under the intake air box. More checking...

Unread 05-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hi everyone new on the forum so please for give the newbie ness. I have a 89 yj that im putting a 4.0 Ho from a 93 grand Cherokee with a 96 aw4 and np231. I swapped the dash harness and engine harness with one from a 92 yj 4.0. my question is there is a 10 pin plug on the engine harness near the under hood fuse box that i cant figure out what its for.
I just looked at my '95YJ harness. It does not have that plug like your harness does.

BUT, the '95 Grand Cherokee harness has the DRL plug in that area.

That plug has some wires that are common with the VSS plug for the auto tranny, right? That could just be a ground which they share.

Post the other pictures you have and how about you list the wire colors/pin numbers if they are on the plug.

I would work around that plug in the meantime.

Unread 05-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
nis240rb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help. this is the wire colors and where i traced them too ill get more pis up when i get home this after noon.
orange/black=fuel pump relay
black/yellow=ground
green/black=runs to the plug that runs into jeep under center of dash
black=pin 11 at ecu plug (power ground)
black/white=engine starter relay
white/black=ac relay
other white/black=pin 7 on ecu (volt supply 8 or 5)
black/red=pin 4 ecu(sensor ground)
light brown=runs to the plug that runs into jeep under center of dash
blue=ecu pin 47 (vss)
Unread 05-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the help. this is the wire colors and where i traced them too ill get more pis up when i get home this after noon.
orange/black=fuel pump relay
black/yellow=ground
green/black=runs to the plug that runs into jeep under center of dash
black=pin 11 at ecu plug (power ground)
black/white=engine starter relay
white/black=ac relay
other white/black=pin 7 on ecu (volt supply 8 or 5)
black/red=pin 4 ecu(sensor ground)
light brown=runs to the plug that runs into jeep under center of dash
blue=ecu pin 47 (vss)
Everything I see says that is the plug for the auto tranny. I also believe that there is a sub harness that plugs into that plug to connect it to the tranny control module.

Unread 05-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

How far along are you with this build? I would ignore that plug until it becomes a freakin' problem!!!!!

Unread 05-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #14
nis240rb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Im at the point that I need to wire in the aw4 tranny. I thought the tf999 auto in a yj was not computer controlled. Remember the harness is from a 93 yj.
Unread 05-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #15
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Im at the point that I need to wire in the aw4 tranny. I thought the tf999 auto in a yj was not computer controlled. Remember the harness is from a 93 yj.
For the 3 speed automatic tranny I think you are right the TCC solenoid is controlled by the brain. That has one wire going from the TCC solenoid screwed into the tranny to the TCC solenoid relay located on the right side of the dash panel next to the battery.

Then I think there is a TV cable that goes to the throttle linkage. And then you need a NSS sensor. The Neutral Start Sensor gives you ground for the ASD relay and when you shift into reverse allows the reverse light to go on.

BUT I think the AW4 has its own brain usually located under the dash behind the glove box??? And the year of the brain has to be compatible with the year of the tranny because 'things' often changed.

Google search got me this;

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/a...tions-1475816/

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.