Engine Flush - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Flush

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-23-2002, 08:36 AM   #1
GRAVEE1K

Engine Flush

The YJ is up to 120k and I was asking some guys that race ricers at work if they had considered using engine flush before oil changes? What do you guys think about it? I worry about it not washing completely out of the motor and breaking down the fresh oils viscosity? So does anybody use it? Hate it? They all recommended the GUNK engine flush.

GRAVEE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2002, 08:49 AM   #2
Mels95YJ

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money. Here's my reasoning. All the gunk buildup that you wash away has to go somewhere. I've heard of people having to replace their oil sending unit because all the gunk deposited there. Also, that gunk is sealing any cracks and/or crevices that keeps you from leaking oil. Without that gunk, you may start noticing some oil leaks. It's pretty much the same as switching to synthetic oil. If everything is fine now, why tempt Mr. Murphy? If it isn't broke, don't fix it! Just my $.02

Mel
Unread 10-23-2002, 08:58 AM   #3
GRAVEE1K

Yeah I need to replace the pan, I crunched mine on a rock and it currently is held with JB and silicon, so I was thinking about making sure the new one is ultra clean and just leaving it, oh and checking the screen on the pump. I had a 22R motor crap out at 120k because a clump of crap broke loose and clogged the screen and I guess I want to make sure that don't happen to my YJ, since all the crap settles and seems to harden in the pan I guess cleaning it would be the right thing.
Unread 10-23-2002, 12:18 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

When you replace the pan, make sure that everything on the bottom of your engine is nice and clean, oil pickup nice and clean .. and that the new pan going in (used, or new?) is clean inside and out (for a good seal).

You should be fine .. don't really need to worry about the top side .. unless you are planning on taking it apart anyways ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2002, 03:06 PM   #5
GRAVEE1K

Yeah thats more along the lines of what I was thinking and skip the GUNK treatment.......
Unread 10-24-2002, 03:17 AM   #6
DanyJeep

the gunk treatment has some very strong chemicals in it which does kinda get the crap out but also chews on your gaskets and seals. be careful not a regular thing to do.
DanyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2002, 03:48 AM   #7
Gator

heres a old trick...
ATF! Automatic Transmission Fluid
it has been used for years removing the hard grease you build up on your hands, & the ATF is easily washed off with Soap & water

I've done this several times < about every 35-50K Miles> on all my vehicles & about everty other oil change I'll substitute 1/2 quart of ATF for Oil
drain the oil, replace drain plug,leave filter on, fill like normal with ATF, crank engine & let IDLE for 10-15 mins dont drive it, or rev the engine... just idle
any Sludge or gunk or build up, it will break down & clean & wont harm anything if theres anything Atf left & the new oil added
its a hell of alot cheaper than buying engine cleaners or anything like that

its one of the best cleaners you'll find for caked grease...
get axle grease on your hands, rub some atf on them & the Atf will cut the axle grease, then wash with soap & water

My 1 ton, has 150K miles on it... I bought it when it had 100K miles, done this & every other oil change, no leaks, engine doesnt use oil & i still get around 14-15 mpg with a regular scheduled tune up.... even with a 454 Cu in TBI, & 5.13 gears
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2002, 08:26 AM   #8
GRAVEE1K

Hmmm I have heard of ATF to break up carbon in the cylinders but not in the crank case??
Unread 10-24-2002, 10:19 AM   #9
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by Gator
its one of the best cleaners you'll find for caked grease...
get axle grease on your hands, rub some atf on them & the Atf will cut the axle grease, then wash with soap & water
I use WD-40 to clean my hands before diggin' into the pizza
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2002, 05:43 PM   #10
evilpsych

yeah i've heard of the ATF trick being used.. especially if you have noisy/dirty lifters.. basically.. the ATF foams up in the oil and really does a good job of being a surfactant (that's a grease remover to you laymen). I use the engine flush stuff however religiously.. here's how I use it though..

Run around in your rig on errands.. getting the oil and filter and stuff.. when you get home.. leave the engine running and pour in your engine flush stuff (whether it be Gunk, ATF, or some other brand) and let the engine idle for 10-15 minutes. I then drain oil as usual. Really gets the crud out.. and the Hot Oil seems to melt the sludge pretty good and get it circulating through the filter and dissolved into the flush solvent.. then fresh filter and oil and you're good for a few more thousand miles.. avoid that Z-Max crap that says it does the same job as the solvent/ATF trick.. it's a waste of money.

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.