engine conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > engine conversion

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-23-2001, 09:56 AM   #1
RPjeepster24
1988 YJ Wrangler 

engine conversion

OK, I have a 88 jeep wrangler that I am altering into a 4wheeling machine and I got a huge lift and tires and my 2.5 litre is not pulling it the way I would like, I am interested in doing an engine conversion, I am having a hard time deciding between a 4.0 and a v8, and I don't want a huge hassle because I well be doing it myself, unless any of you guys no a way to make ausome horsepower out of a 2.5, and my budget is not exactly 10K either, any suggestions?

I am the owner of the "Jeepvette," My Life-Long Project is complete-Just in time for it to provide my new bride and I some financial relief, see the awesome video's and pics at my website: http://jeepvette.com/ I plan to get my wife and I a more family friendly Jeep, you'll understand if you go to the site : )
RPjeepster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2001, 04:32 PM   #2
bigsteve3184

i have the same problem!!! I have 3in body and ordering a 4in suspension and putting 35's..I NEED MORE POWER...i'm only 17 though...and i don't have a lot of money...

www.novajeepers.com
bigsteve3184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2001, 04:39 PM   #3
Brendan

Keep in mind that if you get too much power your trannys' won't be able to take it. Niether will your axles. If you want a true wheeling machine, then go for a v8, and upgrade everything else along the way. Do it right the first time, ya know? If you just want more reliablity, and some decent power gains, go for the 4.0. The 4.0 will be an easier swap over all, and should cost less, but it doesn't really compare to a v8 in any way.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2001, 08:00 PM   #4
jeeping18

big tires equal loss of power, i have a 91 with a 4.0 and have put on a suspension lift and 31's and lost power i put on a borla cat back and a different intake and it has helped.
but i know a guy who put haeders and exahust on his 4 banger and said that they suck and wishes he got a bigger motor!
i have 130000 miles on my 4.0 and it runs good still but i know soon i will either rebuild it or swap for a 318 if anyone has done this let me know what they think, thanks
-2.5 INCH PRO-COMP LIFT
-31X10.50 PRO-COMP MUD'S
-15X8 EAGLE ALLOYS
-3:73 gears
also a 2000 TJ
jeeping18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2001, 09:55 PM   #5
Pantera

regearing wouldn't be a bad idea either... With the proper gears, your 4-Banger should be able to handle about anything... Just a thought (a cheaper one, at that)...
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2001, 10:09 PM   #6
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

WOW! you people think you can do miracles with a 2.5. Keep dreaming. 33's and 35's with stock gears. That is the first thing you should think about. Get gears that are more in line with the sze tires you have. 4.56's or 4.88's.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2001, 10:30 PM   #7
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would also agree on the gearing.

If the 2.5l isn't enough with the larger tires, look for 4.56 gears (for 33" tires) or for 4.88 gears (for 35" tires). The stock rear axle will have problems with 35" tires (may start breaking badly) .. so you might want to look for a Dana44 axle (and match the gears front and back). The stock front axle is strong enough for 35" tires

If you want beyond huge tires, then look for a full size truck to swap into your rig. A Chevy 1/2ton is fairly easy (some welding, some fabrication required) to do. I will be starting my second drive train swap soon (if finances hold out long enough). If things go well, I should be able to do it all for under $2000 Canadian.

There are many options .. what are your long term plans for your rig?
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2001, 05:24 AM   #8
Newfie

Have to disagree about the 2.5 not being enough with 33s and stock gearing (agree that you don't want to make long highway trips ), but I'm running 33 MTs with a 2.5, stock gears and a few perfomance mods.

My goal is to hit 180+ HP (stock 4.0) for less that $1000 CDN and have it dyno'ed to shut up a particularly prejudiced guy in my club... hehehe... Hitting 165 (calculated) right now and have only spent $400 CDN. Picked up a used MSD yesterday for $150 and MSD says it will give you 15 HP, soooooo... Here's hoping. Have a head and intake that I got from a scrapper for $50 that I'm going to cut, port and polish as well. Haven't done too much with the exhaust as yet, saving that in case I fall short with other stuff and I'm trying to keep it smog legal.

To summarize, if you want to have a little fun with displacement bigots, build a 2.5 that whips their butts!
Unread 12-11-2001, 05:55 AM   #9
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I noticed a big change when I did my exhaust. I actually got 5th gear back on the highway. Next up is the intake and throttlebody spacer.

If you really want to spice things up a bit, I found some posts on JU where a guy took a supercharger out of a thunderbird and modified it to fit in his 2.5L. He says its pushing almost 300hp now. Not sure how that works in off road conditions, I guess if you set the PSI real low you can still spin it up.
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2001, 07:21 AM   #10
gifargis

AtRoPiNe

What do you mean "JU" site.. I am interested in finding what you have seen..

Thanks
If you can post the site's URL....
Unread 12-11-2001, 12:34 PM   #11
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeeps Unlimited forum

You've got mail!!!!!
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2001, 12:58 PM   #12
Dan Morera

What about 4.2 with 33's and the stock gears (Peugeot)? How bad is it going to get? what if I put in 32's or 31's?

I haven't done the lift yet but I'm not going to big with it.
Unread 12-11-2001, 03:08 PM   #13
jerk with a jeep

You should check into the vortec 4.3 chevy v-6. I understand that this is pretty much a bolt in deal except for motor mounts and wiring. You will be able to use your current transmission. I know afew guys that are using this engine in older jeeps, they produce gobbs of power. This may be the cheapest way for you to go.
jerk with a jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2002, 08:33 PM   #14
blazer

Quote:
Originally posted by jerk with a jeep:
You should check into the vortec 4.3 chevy v-6. I understand that this is pretty much a bolt in deal except for motor mounts and wiring. You will be able to use your current transmission. I know afew guys that are using this engine in older jeeps, they produce gobbs of power. This may be the cheapest way for you to go.
I have a 92 wrangler with a 5sp.and a 4cyl. I have a 91 s-10 4.3ltr auto. My plan is to rebuild the 4.3 and use the tranny,and get another tcase that will work. if you have any comments or you know someone that can give me some advice and or a heads up on what else i might have to do, please give them my e-mail. I'm planning on doing this sometime next week. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks alot. Brian<bdwarner@jaspereng.com
blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2002, 09:39 PM   #15
Trucidus Sum

Last edited by Trucidus Sum; 06-18-2009 at 03:44 PM..
Trucidus Sum is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.