Engine clicking, and question about Mr.Gasket thermostat being "race only" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine clicking, and question about Mr.Gasket thermostat being "race only"

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-03-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
kainers
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Engine clicking, and question about Mr.Gasket thermostat being "race only"

Hello again...

So I need to get another thermostat for my jeep, as its running cold. I was going to get a Robert Shaw, but shipping from quadratec would take till next week. I can get a 195deg Mr.Gasket from autozone, but they are telling me its "race only"/"off-road only"? Can I use the Mr.Gasket, or should I just wait and order the Robert Shaw.

Also, today while trying to let my jeep warm-up the engine starting making a clicking noise. Jeep was just sitting in park, idling and making a fast click click click. It kinda sounded like it was coming from the middle of the engine bay. If I stepped on the gas it felt like the clicking went in unison with the reving. Like, faster clicking per rpm increase. I was inside the house when the jeep was warming up and I swore I heard a loud squeal... But I don't know if it was the jeep, or a car going by the house.

I've spent a few hours searching here and read mention of

Lifters
Spark knock
Waterpump??

I'm taking the jeep back to the shop tomorrow, as I'm about 99.9% positive it wasn't making this noise before. He's been a super cool guy to work with so far, so I hope this is something simple. Any input or things I can speak with the mechanic about would be great.

kainers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Buy the simple t-stat they sell for like $4 its all you need. Its not a race car or performance car. Standard is more than fine.
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
kainers
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply, I've read on a fair amount of thermostat posts on here that the stant (and other generic) one's have a lot of issues.
Unread 11-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

All i have ever used with zero issue. I duno what people are doing to cause these issues but in the many many stant or duralast or other similar brans that i have installed, not one has failed.
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 03:24 AM   #5
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No you are confusing two different issues gauge sensor are where people are having a problem. Not thermostats they replaced in with the hopes that it fixes a problem of over heating by reading the gauge inside ( stock gauge ) when it's the sensor sending the wrong signal to the gauge. They replace the sensor with a cheap one from autozone and places like that then the gauge is reading wrong.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
kainers
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ah ok.. thanks guys . I'm taking it back to the shop for the clicking noise today... wish me luck :O
Unread 01-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
jms493

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainers View Post
Ah ok.. thanks guys . I'm taking it back to the shop for the clicking noise today... wish me luck :O
can you update your problem.

My jeep with 120K on it is making a loud clicking noise. Very loud when cold and sound like it is coming from the under the valve cover. DO these valves need to be adjusted? The noise also moves in unison with the rpms.

Any help would be great.
Bought on March 24, 2005
Pictures coming soon....
jms493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Your both saying the ticking noise is occurring when cold, does it go away as the engine warms up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like really thick cold oil not quite getting the lifters pumped up.
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
ngostout
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Same issue

Occasionally I get the same problem, just after starting my car I get the same CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK in time with the revs (as they increase the click gets faster). The problem goes away after a few minutes so I havenít done any thing about it. I get a hard start once in a while too. The engine light came on though and I pulled the codes which told me I had bad O2 sensors. I replaced them, but the sensors keep coming on and the clicking is still happening. I drove it with the computer watching the output and the sensors are working fine, so my issue is just in the first few moments the car is running that the O2 sensors are tripped. Is it possible that both things are related in some way? did you figure out a fix to the click?
ngostout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #11
kainers
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hi, sorry haven't been back here in a bit. Unfortunately I'm not really sure what my click was, I've barely used the jeep since as I was having wiring issues for a bit.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.