Engine Cleaning... Good Idea or Bad Idea? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Cleaning... Good Idea or Bad Idea?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
joebm83
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Engine Cleaning... Good Idea or Bad Idea?

I am getting ready to do a tune up and change the valve cover gasket on my 93 yj 4.0. I was considering cleaning the engine first to prevent all the junk under the hood from getting in the motor when I open it up. Kinda gun shy though from all of the emission wiring and other electrical connections. (I had a Comanche that never ran the same after an engine cleaning!) Good idea or bad idea? any suggestions if I do clean it?

joebm83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i pressure wash mine all the time, i havent had any issues. only thing is you may have to dry the distributor out.
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have/will continue to clean the engine on all my vehicles. Its a lot easier to spot problems before they cause trouble, easier to work on, and in my opinion a pride in ownership type thing.

I did a 4.0 over the summer, had once of the sensors get wet in the process and it would not start (kept getting a no bus on the dash). So i will say this:

Inspect the engine/harness/vacuum lines for cracks and damage (replace now, you should do this anyways)
Plastic bag your intake (or leave the factory setup in place and dont spray it)
Cover all electronics (duh)
Cover all sensor connections
^^ Avoid spraying these two items

I like to use Meguirars all purpose cleaner (green liquid, about $15 at a store for a gallon and it lasts forever). Dilute this 1:1 for real bad stuff, 5:1 for regular duty and 10:1 for maintenance. Use a $1 spray bottle to spray it on, agitate with brush and rinse off with garden hose pressure. Rinse (literally) and repeat as many times as it takes to get it clean.

When your done, start up the heep and let it run for 15 minutes to dry everything off. If it doesn't start, use contact cleaner and inspect all your sensor connections.

GL
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.