Engine and AW4 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine and AW4 swap

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-23-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
vgilbertson
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Engine and AW4 swap

Morning

I pulled the 4.0 auto out of the 92 YJ a week or so ago. Yesterday pulled the engine out of the donor, 95 xj.

Found where fan, ac and alternator mounts are different so swapping them from the original/

Pulled the wiring harness for the TCU.

Have a question on the transfer case, YJ front dif is vacuum controlled by the transfer case - do I need to install the manual kit? I don't see it referenced in any of the write ups.

Thanks

vgilbertson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

I would do the cable shifter for the front either way. I never liked having the lines and stuff hanging down there that could get pulled off during my mud runs...
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
nagel
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When I swapped out my motor and trans from my 89 YJ, I put in a 96 4.0 from an XJ.

Had to clock the T-case (hangs low otherwise)

Since I chose to use the cherokee NP242, I lost the vacuum actuator. Posi-lock it, or pull the passenger axle shaft from the XJ and swap it (there's plenty of writeups about eliminating the 2 piece axle).
nagel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgilbertson View Post
Have a question on the transfer case, YJ front dif is vacuum controlled by the transfer case - do I need to install the manual kit? I don't see it referenced in any of the write ups.
If you're using the XJ transfer case, and it's an NP231, you can keep your vacuum disconnect by trasnfering the vacuum switch over. When I did my 4.0 swap I used the '95 XJ NP231 in my '87 YJ with the vacuum disconnect still.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
vgilbertson
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am using a NP231 so will look at transferring the vacuum switch .

Thanks for the help
vgilbertson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.