Empty Overflow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Empty Overflow

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140

Unread 11-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Empty Overflow

why every time i fill my over flow tank for the rad the next day its empty there is no leaks and it never did this before i flushed my rad and went from a 14lbs radiator cap to a 13lbs

toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's leaking somewhere. Head gasket?
Unread 11-25-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i dont see any leaks but i just open my rad and it was low. where would i look for a leak at the head gasket
Unread 11-25-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

great today i relized that i have i pretty bad leak some where but i cant find it every time i go to check it out there is water on the plastic jeep thing on the front and my rad is wet i dont see and water squirting or dripping could it be withen the fins of my rad because my rad is in horrible condition if i blow on it metal fins(what ever those thing that are one all cooling things are called) they just fall off.
Unread 11-25-2006, 10:37 PM   #5
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89
great today i relized that i have i pretty bad leak some where but i cant find it every time i go to check it out there is water on the plastic jeep thing on the front and my rad is wet i dont see and water squirting or dripping could it be withen the fins of my rad because my rad is in horrible condition if i blow on it metal fins(what ever those thing that are one all cooling things are called) they just fall off.
sounds like it's time for a new rad one way or another. since that's the only spot coolant can really come from up front i would say it's a good candidate for your leak as well. replace it and call it a day.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2006, 10:40 PM   #6
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

but why would there be water on my bumper if i was doing 55 and the wind is blowing towards the engine
Unread 11-25-2006, 10:56 PM   #7
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89
but why would there be water on my bumper if i was doing 55 and the wind is blowing towards the engine
gotta stop moving sometime. also air does some strange things as it flows over your vehicle. it's possible there's a backflow occuring in the airstream to push some of the fluid towards the front of the jeep instead of it all flowing backwards. this is how you end up with exhaust fumes inside the cab when you leave the soft top's rear curtain up. air flowing off the roof hits the low pressure left behind in the jeep's passing and gets sucked inside the cab. or it could be splashing there from the bottom lip of the rad. lots of ways to get there. if it's bad enough that the fins are falling out on their own, bite the bullet and replace the radiator. it's not working very efficiently that way and you run the risk of it developing a bad leak somewhere and leaving you stranded. then you'll have to pay for a new rad and a tow bill on top of it. back flushing the rad probably dislodged some particles that were plugging a leak and now that they're gone you're losing coolant. are you using straight water in there?

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
Unread 11-25-2006, 10:59 PM   #8
speedfreak331

Had the same problem with my Jeep. $120 later at the local autoparts store on a new radiator fixed the problem. The only thing wrong now is that i have a lower engine temp and lower heat temp inside my softtop jeep !!
speedfreak331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #9
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak331
Had the same problem with my Jeep. $120 later at the local autoparts store on a new radiator fixed the problem. The only thing wrong now is that i have a lower engine temp and lower heat temp inside my softtop jeep !!
you can try and change out your t-stat if you haven't already. your temp shouldn't be colder with a new rad unless you were running hot before changing it. once the coolant gets to temp the stat should cycle enough to keep it very close to whatever temp the t-stat is rated for.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
Unread 11-26-2006, 08:38 AM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you've got time to wait for one to be ordered and shipped, try these guys. If not, probably look local, either way sounds to me like you need a new radiator as previously mentioned.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2006, 09:51 AM   #11
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

will antifreezed hurt my paint because it is the fan sprays down my front grill and fenders and what local store has the cheapest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.