Emissions Maintenance Indicator Light on 92 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Emissions Maintenance Indicator Light on 92 YJ

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockRubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 05-07-2002, 07:24 PM   #1
Shifty

Emissions Maintenance Indicator Light on 92 YJ

This is a 92 YJ 4.0L. According to my Haynes manual at roughly 82,500 miles my Maintenance Indicator Light should come on. Sure enough at 82,580 my light came on. I know the oxygen sensor is relatively inexpensive and simple to change. However, the manual talks about buying a special tool to reset the maintenance indicator light under the right side of the dash. Is there a way around buying the tool vs going to a dealership? Anyone got any ideas? Bubble gum, paper clips, wack it with a hammer? :-)

Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2002, 08:48 PM   #2
flashJP

hey, ive got an '89yj and had the same deal. there is a timer that counts 2 things; miles and engine hours...at 82,500 miles or so, it should make your emiss. maint, light go off, and thats what it did...
WHAT you should do..replace your O2 sensor...cost ya about 45 bucks, and its fairly easy if you know you way around your jeep..
WHAT you dont really have to do, worry about that timer...what i did was replace my O2 sensor and actually took out the timer unit, its fairly useless and would be a waste of money, ALL it does is count miles & engine hours...
all you have to do is be aware of the miles on the new O2 sensor and you'll be fine...save the cash!!!
hope this helps
15x7 OutLaw II
NEW: distributor cap,rotor,spark plugs,wires,fuel filter,ccv&pcv, steelhorse console...
flashJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2002, 12:15 AM   #3
93 Blue Demon YJ

Yeah, that timer is stupid. I wish they (Jeep) would have spent the money a little wiser. Its there to freak you out and to make you go to the Dealer and get a $150 O2 sensor. Take either the timer or the bulb out and go to Autozone and get good Bosch O2 sensor for about $40. Thats even what my Hayes repair manual says to do.
Unread 05-08-2002, 01:40 AM   #4
Sarge37
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The easiest thing to do is remove the 2 screws that hold the idiot light panel (Center plastic cover) And remove the bulb. The 91 and newer YJs dont have that mileage timer thing under the dash.
Sarge37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2002, 06:42 AM   #5
Prime Lord

Location: Chesapeake, VA (My office is just hell w/ florescent lighting)
Mine just came on too.....Isnt there a way I can get rid of it w/o removing the bulb or going to the dealer?
[url="http://community.webshots.com/album/37357975IlmeHK"]'92 YJ Islander[/url], 4.0, 5-speed. 1" Daystar Body Lift, 31x10.50 Goodyear MT/R's, CJ Style (87-91) Roll Bar, ARB Safari Snorkel, K&N Panel Filter, Dynomax SuperTurbo Catback. Still hunting for TJ Sahara flares!!!

[url="http://community.webshots.com/album/37557247daBfyQ"]'87 Mustang T-Top GT[/url], Maximum Motorsports: Rear LCA's, 4-point K-Member brace, & Std Length Subframe Connectors, FRPP 'C' Springs, Mac Pro-Chamber, Chrome BBK equal length shorties, B&M Ripper w/ leather cobra knob.
Prime Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2002, 07:28 AM   #6
flashJP

disconnect the timer. no power to it, no problem.
15x7 OutLaw II
NEW: distributor cap,rotor,spark plugs,wires,fuel filter,ccv&pcv, steelhorse console...
Unread 05-08-2002, 07:28 PM   #7
Shifty

Thanks guys! I put in a new O2 Sensor this afternoon. Autozone had it but it was 50 bucks, no bigge. As for the dash light, I will figure that out some other day.
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2002, 01:39 PM   #8
Wildbill
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is on also, right around 82,000. I have disconnected the battery hoping this would reset everything with no luck. How do I pull power on timer and where is it? I will replace to O2 sensor soon but want to get rid of that friggin light.

[COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #23[/COLOR]

'92 [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] YJ 4.0 HO, 5spd.
'04 [COLOR=silver]Bright Silver[/COLOR] Liberty Sport 4X4 3.7L Stock for now
[URL]www.peaceriverjeepers.com[/URL]

What do a Divorce in Alabama, A Tornado in Kansas and a Hurricane in Florida all have in common?.....No matter what someone is fixin' to lose a trailer
Wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2002, 03:13 PM   #9
flashJP

the timer is located below the dash, and to the right of the sterring column. at least thats where it is on the 89 YJ..the timer is a plastic box that almost looks like a thermostat...it should have wire connected to it, just disconnect and "retire in place".
hope this helps
15x7 OutLaw II
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashJP View Post
the timer is located below the dash, and to the right of the sterring column. at least thats where it is on the 89 YJ..the timer is a plastic box that almost looks like a thermostat...it should have wire connected to it, just disconnect and "retire in place".
hope this helps
anyone have a picture of this? I'm doing efi swap and I want that light to be my check engine light.
Unread 11-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ4LIFE View Post
anyone have a picture of this? I'm doing efi swap and I want that light to be my check engine light.
Here you go;

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 06:38 AM   #12
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just pulled the bulb in my 89 the other day. I moved it to the high beam indicator position as that bulb was blown. It was a very useful and satisfying mod LOL

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.