Emissions Failure : 89 Jeep HC & CO - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Emissions Failure : 89 Jeep HC & CO

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
sports100
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Emissions Failure : 89 Jeep HC & CO

Ok guys I live in spokane wa. I went to buy tabs today and had to get emissions testing done. I went thinking i'd pass but silly me, i own a jeep . So I am now coming to you for all the love and concerns of my own. What i failed on was my HC (PPM) or Hydrocarbons at a Cruise limit at 25mph. I did pass "HC" at an idle. The Limit for Hydrocarbons at Cruise was 150 and i failed as a 241. Now I also failed on my CO or Carbon Monoxide i believe while at an idle. I did pass the CO at cruise. But at the Idle the limit was 1.2 and mine showed up at a 2.28 FAIL.

I read past emissions but its seems people have very specifics on the vehicle so I believe mine has a possibility of being something completely else.

So My Jeep Is a 1989 Wrangler Sahara, 4.2L , manuel, 142,000 miles. Any help would be nice. Im guessing your all gonna say catalytic, tune up, 93 octane, 1/4 tank it, and high rev the **** outta it to burn everything alive inside the exhaust prior.

BUT id like something more, promotional like Actually fixing the issue at hand. Thanks

JOe

()_) ()_)=@=)_)
sports100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports100 View Post
Ok guys I live in spokane wa. I went to buy tabs today and had to get emissions testing done. I went thinking i'd pass but silly me, i own a jeep . So I am now coming to you for all the love and concerns of my own. What i failed on was my HC (PPM) or Hydrocarbons at a Cruise limit at 25mph. I did pass "HC" at an idle. The Limit for Hydrocarbons at Cruise was 150 and i failed as a 241. Now I also failed on my CO or Carbon Monoxide i believe while at an idle. I did pass the CO at cruise. But at the Idle the limit was 1.2 and mine showed up at a 2.28 FAIL.

I read past emissions but its seems people have very specifics on the vehicle so I believe mine has a possibility of being something completely else.

So My Jeep Is a 1989 Wrangler Sahara, 4.2L , manuel, 142,000 miles. Any help would be nice. Im guessing your all gonna say catalytic, tune up, 93 octane, 1/4 tank it, and high rev the **** outta it to burn everything alive inside the exhaust prior.

BUT id like something more, promotional like Actually fixing the issue at hand. Thanks

JOe
Cat converter is the first best guess, oh, about 75% of the time. Then a decent tuned engine along a properly adjusted carburetor and clean air filter goes a long way to getting it passed. Your tank can be full or 1/8 full of gas - don't make no difference. BUT, 93 octane is HARDER for your engine to burn, so it makes those bad numbers your engine 'blew' even worse. If you rev the **** out of it you will probably swallow a valve or run a connecting rod through the base pan but not get it pass the inspector. Make sure it is running in the right temperature range also. Hotter engines run cleaner. So if you got the thermostat pulled put it back in.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
sports100
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So here's a new guess. Because i bought thte posi-lok 4wd kit that makes me able to remove a couple vacuum valves. i removed one that went to the round bowling ball object that bolts onto the inner wheel well and maybe one other which even then while pulling off, felt like the wrong things. but would that throw off both HC and CO? As well as is there any way to fix that since i threw that stuff away or do i have to buy another bowling ball vaccuum thing to connect the hose to again and the other little things that went on the hose to reduce the vaccuum. i might have really F%#$D up.

()_) ()_)=@=)_)
Unread 04-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here ya go. It is a vaccume resevior, I know that it dosen't look the same but the theroy is the same.
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/vac-res.htm
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm
I know that this focuses on the CJ but the system is the same as the wrangler.

My motor swap thread
73Dart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
dezertdude

Quote:
So here's a new guess. Because i bought thte posi-lok 4wd kit that makes me able to remove a couple vacuum valves. i removed one that went to the round bowling ball object that bolts onto the inner wheel well and maybe one other which even then while pulling off, felt like the wrong things. but would that throw off both HC and CO? As well as is there any way to fix that since i threw that stuff away or do i have to buy another bowling ball vaccuum thing to connect the hose to again and the other little things that went on the hose to reduce the vaccuum. i might have really F%#$D up.
Yes a vacum leak could raise the hc and co readings because the o2 sensor would see it as lean and richen the mixture to compensate for it. In California you never would have passed the visual without all that vacum crap hooked up but you should be able to block off all lines associated with it so there is no leak and it might be ok
dezertdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
sports100
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ya i no that tin can thing. and i thought that might be it. but can it be round style? like the bowling ball i say. i am not with my car right now to check but im pretty sure i blocked off all lines when i went and removed the stuff. thanks for all input so far. are there any diagrams of the pieces that complete the vacuums

edit: found schematics

()_) ()_)=@=)_)
Unread 04-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ya i no that tin can thing. and i thought that might be it. but can it be round style? like the bowling ball i say. i am not with my car right now to check but im pretty sure i blocked off all lines when i went and removed the stuff. thanks for all input so far. are there any diagrams of the pieces that complete the vacuums

edit: found schematics
The round ball thing might be the vacuum reservior for your cruise control.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
Unread 04-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yea the can and the black ball are the same thing. The vac resivior is used for the emmisions and can be used for cruise as well.

My motor swap thread
73Dart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
sports100
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So im gonna buy the parts im missing tomorrow. and today i relized like every wire was wrong, as if someone took the engine apart and just threw all the wires back together. If im wrong then i just messed it all up lol. but by looking at the schematics and being that the schematics are correct, someone just had a lil to many coors and not enough genius. so ill let you guys no if i pass after i put the missing parts in

()_) ()_)=@=)_)
Unread 04-29-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
fireshadow
1988 YJ Wrangler 

if you can come up the cheese upgrade to the team rush mod w/ coil and possibly a motorcraft 2100. I did these and my numbers were unbelievably low on a 88 almost as good as my wife's 06 HHR and no more vacuum lines )
Unread 04-30-2009, 05:15 AM   #11
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The ball is the vacuum resiviour. I have one in the garage that I pulled out from my cruise control removal. PM me if you need it.
What other stuff did you remove? The 4wd disconnect vacuum lines have nothing to do with emissions as long as you just cap the red manifold vacuum line at the first connection tee when you follow it from the transfer case to under the hood. The switch on the firewall is for the 4wd indicator light.
Unread 04-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So im gonna buy the parts im missing tomorrow. and today i relized like every wire was wrong, as if someone took the engine apart and just threw all the wires back together. If im wrong then i just messed it all up lol. but by looking at the schematics and being that the schematics are correct, someone just had a lil to many coors and not enough genius. so ill let you guys no if i pass after i put the missing parts in
WHOA THERE PARDNER!!! Your jeep may have been (John) Nuttered. The previous owner may have bypassed the useless emission system that they used on these older Jeeps. You might have a timing problem since timing a nuttered jeep is not in any shop manual. You need to confirm that your jeep has in fact been nuttered. Keep in mind you may have a bad carburetor or one that needs tuning also. It is hard to say sitting on my butt here
Then there is a bad catalytic converter which causes most of these emissions problems.

Here are just a few links to 'nuttering'

http://www.billhughes.com/mirror/nutterbypass.htm

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/ignmods.htm

Unread 04-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
sports100
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanxs latbackman. but no it never looked anything like diagrams you just gave me either.

Burnerman - Im gonna see today about the vacuum reservior, if no one has it you will get a pm, thanks. I did redo all the hoses yesterday so i did relize that was the only mistaken thing i took off. Probably just cuz it looked so fricked "GAY"

()_) ()_)=@=)_)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.