Emissions compliant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Emissions compliant

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
maxthegi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Emissions compliant

What all makes a Jeep emissions compliant? I bought an American style Jeep here in Japan and want to export it, but someone said that when it came here it had to be adjusted to meet Japan emission standards and will have to be reconfigured to meet US standards. They said that it can be very expensive. Any ideas on what all would need to be changed? I have a 94 YJ 4.0.

maxthegi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What state are you moving to? Many states have no emissions requirements for a car that old. Others just look for basic parts to still be there (cat converter, egr valve, vapor canister etc). Others have a tail pipe test, but it isn't too strict so as long is it isn't really messed up, it will pass.

California wants everything perfect.

That's after you get it through customs. http://foreignborn.com/visas_imm/ent...ingyourcar.htm
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
maxthegi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure where the army will send me next but I avoid California as much as possible.
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
maxthegi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and thanks for the link.
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Mywrangler94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Like said before .. you have to know what state your going to be transferred to. I have a 94 YJ, no emissions test here for it. Safety only. Parts of PA is safety only BUT all the components of the emissions system have to be there. But you guys know how that goes.....thats all I know...
Mywrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No emissions BS if you end up in free SD.
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Missouri only tests for emissions on 1996 and newer. Just have to worry about safety inspection.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #8
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshw301 View Post
Missouri only tests for emissions on 1996 and newer. Just have to worry about safety inspection.
They also check for the presence emissions stuff like the EGR, Vapor Canister, and Catalytic Converter during the safety inspection if they are actually doing what they are supposed to. It doesn't apply to yours since it is fuel injected, but for a 4.2 it needs to look reasonably stock to pass (depending on who you take it to of course).
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #9
KLiK3xs
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Was the Jeep an Import to Japan or was it brought over by another Military member?

While I was stationed in Yokosuka I bought a 1968 VW which a military member had brought over. I shipped it back to the States with my orders (CA). All i had to do was get the proper air cleaner for it.

CA smogs 1974 and newer, so I had to pass the "look-see" check.
KLiK3xs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Why not register it in your "home" State? Assuming you don't have emissions there.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You are looking at "grey Market" Not just emissions standards difference but also safety differences.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_import_vehicle

Quote:
A vehicle not originally built to U.S. specifications can, under certain circumstances, be imported through a registered importer who modifies the vehicle to comply with US equipment and safety regulations and then certifies it as compliant, and an independent commercial importer who modifies the vehicle to comply with US emissions regulations and then certifies it as compliant.[3] Those who import nonconforming motor vehicles sometimes bring in more than one car at a time to spread the substantial cost of the necessary destructive testing, modification, and safety certification. Destructive crash testing is not always needed if the vehicle can be shown to be substantially similar to a model sold in the U.S. The Smart Fortwo was imported in this manner prior to its official U.S. release.
If the military is bringing it over you can check with the transportation people. It won't be the first one they've sent over. Coming through Dover I alway see some pretty riced up right hand drives that I can't ID as any car sold here.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Utah will have safety but some counties require emissions testing in addition to safety

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 07-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #13
maxthegi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I appreciate all the comments. Good information!
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Texas is good for you to bring it to. All the big bases are not in emissions areas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.