Emissions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Emissions

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 08-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Matt24138
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Emissions

I am trying to get a better understanding of emissions and proper levels and what you can determine on how your engine performance is by the levels. I have scowered the net not finding much but general info. Does anyone have a link to site or a way to explain? I finally passed emissions today with my co levels going from 1.35 to .52 but would like to know how good that lvl is and what it means.

Matt24138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt24138 View Post
I am trying to get a better understanding of emissions and proper levels and what you can determine on how your engine performance is by the levels. I have scowered the net not finding much but general info. Does anyone have a link to site or a way to explain? I finally passed emissions today with my co levels going from 1.35 to .52 but would like to know how good that lvl is and what it means.
The emissions system manages the air/fuel/timing of an engine. Using sensors it adjust the levels of fuel to air required according to the inputss from those sensors. It also alters timing to attempt to keep the engine running well using the least amount of fuel possible. The cat converter scrubs the exhaust to aid in keeping the envorinment cleaner.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Matt24138
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I understand the basics of the systems. I am trying to find something that gives me comparative numbers for nox and co levels. I have been to the EPA website but no numbers just basic info.
Unread 08-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have the papers handy, but I once made a 1970 Chevy big-block pass the same numbers as an injected V-6. Trick is to know how to tune those old beasts, and understand that with late-model EFI it stays tuned - you don't have to constantly fiddle with it. IIRC the numbers were similar to yours.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I understand the basics of the systems. I am trying to find something that gives me comparative numbers for nox and co levels. I have been to the EPA website but no numbers just basic info.
It seems that the only way to find out what those numbers are is to get the car inspected. It tells you what the limits are and how your engine did. I have done some research also and found nothing.

There is no way there is only one set of emissions standards for every engine made. I do believe that the estimated MPG for your vehicle/engine combination is the key to how much pollution your car can emit. That is where some ‘creativity’ seems to rear its ugly little head.

In addition most states do not allow older engines to be swapped into newer vehicles. Hell there may be some states that do not allow any engine changes other than what a particular vehicle left the factory with.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Matt24138
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My co level was 0.52 I am trying to determine how good that level is.
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My co level was 0.52 I am trying to determine how good that level is.
Don't they give you a printout of the emission test that your car went through? Here is Mass. we receive a printout of the test and it notes the acceptable range for each test and then what number your engine 'blew' for each test.

Unread 08-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah there should have been a print out they gave you that shows what acceptable levels are..

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
Matt24138
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am way under the 1.20. I am just curious if that is as good as say a 2009 vehicle. They no longer give you the print out unless you fail I had to ask.
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am way under the 1.20. I am just curious if that is as good as say a 2009 vehicle. They no longer give you the print out unless you fail I had to ask.
My guess would be that a much bigger engine could match the cleanliness of your older engine since they periodically demand that any given engine run cleaner than a like sized older engine by increasing the MPG the newer engine must achieve.

Unread 08-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
Matt24138
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am sure it could match it. I am just trying to get a feel for how well my yj is performing and the level if maintenance I have put in it. So I am trying to find comparative numbers.
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am sure it could match it. I am just trying to get a feel for how well my yj is performing and the level if maintenance I have put in it. So I am trying to find comparative numbers.
Put up an ad in your local craigslist in the automotive section looking for a copy of someone's fail notice. Just make sure they have the same year vehicle with the same engine.

Unread 08-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ask them for the printout if they don't give you one. I get one whether or not I pass.

Also, with all this talk of making cleaner vehicles, you'd think that newer vehicles put out less emissions than newer vehicles..

[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
Matt24138
1993 YJ Wrangler 

They wouldn't give it to me. He didn't even want to tell me the numbers. Delaware is a little different we have to be inspected at motor vehicle. Not a garage or gas station so if you pass they won't give it to you I guess it's a cost thing. They will give you one if you fail to take to a shop.
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That's weird. Maybe it was the shop you took it to? Here in CA we need to go to an approved shop in order to get smog paperwork...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.